Why become a member? ×

Booming from rear ports - suggestions? Problem now solved!

Painy

Playing live in the rooms that most of us play in is always a compromise, and most of us are not playing with the facility of FOH or putting bass through the PA.

So what [i]we[/i] do has to work.

The closest I've got to a consistently good sound on stage and in the room, and a sound with the fewest compromises, was with Bergantino cabs and now Barefaced cabs. I'm not a fan of EQing out of a problem because what you change to make work over here will probably make you sound worse over there. IMO good cabs are the front line in that battle.

edit - spelling

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1465248699' post='3066564']
Response will be different on every stage and every room. Using EQ to fix the response in the hot spot where he's standing means losing low end everywhere else. Not having a hot spot by moving the cab and/or him is the solution.
It's impossible, because room response is different at every spot in the room, and varies the most as you move away from the stage. Use the backline only to drive the stage and the PA to drive the room and you'll get a lot better result.
[/quote]

But not always an issue everywhere. It would depend how many places the OP has this issue to determine how he is going to fix it.

If the P.A is engr'd then I'd expect a better result, potentially.but if not...all you have done is move the issue. and introduced sub also..? maybe.

So many variables but I'd start from a place where boom isn't going to be the factor in the first place. and how to address that is another can or worms.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after trying just about everything suggested here and a few other things besides it turned out I just needed to look for the root cause rather than trying to treat the symptoms. It seems a slight tweak of my basses' set-up was what was needed. With my action being pretty low it seems some of the lows were being choked out which meant I was having to compensate by turning up the bass on the eq. Any time I then played with a little less attack (or just played an open string) the notes were choking less and the bass was booming out.
Half a turn of the Allen key on the saddles was all it took to get the notes ringing true, bass then turned down on the eq and all is well with the world again!

Edit: Guitarist will obviously also position himself elsewhere next time we're at that venue ;)

Edited by Painy