Why become a member? ×

Fretless Conklin GT7 (Shuker defret) will now take £500
£700

Sambrook

[attachment=220614:snconk3.jpg]

I bought this wonderful instrument from BinkyBass of this parish, and had him send it straight to Jon Shuker, who did a wonderful job of defretting it.He used Purpleheart veneer and maple for the 'cheat' lines. I find a lined fretless confusing and distracting, and wanted as clean a look as possible. It works very well- I use the maple markers generally, but have the option of the 'full' lines as needed.

I haven't had the bass for many months, it was an experiment to see if I could unleash my inner Michael Manring. unfortunately, I seem not to actually have one, leashed or not. It was a successful experiment, though, as it has taught me that I really don't need a low B (an E-C 5 string is sufficient).

So that's why I'm selling it. It is in immaculate condition, but for one thing. In transit between Jon Shuker and me, it must have had a knock- there are 2 hairline cracks in the lacquer either side of the neck. I've pictured them, they are very small, and are of the lacquer only, NOT the wood. Playability totally unaffected.

So- wine red 'cellophane' finish
swamp ash body with flame maple top
Purpleheart and wenge neck (2 octaves)
Bartolini Humbuckers/2 band preamp
La Bella hard rockin steels (B-C) and custom Newtone high F. All new

It plays just wonderfully, the neck is sublime, very tactile and organic. It absolutely sings- the board does not feel like a defret job, but like it was made that way. The pictures are Jon's, and they do it justice.

The only trades I'm after are an Ebow, and a Ditto x4 looper. Otherwise, just sale only. £700 delivered to your door in the UK. I will consider sending abroad, but the postage would increase the cost. Happy to answer questions where I've forgotten details. Thanks for reading.

[attachment=220620:snconk2.jpg][attachment=220621:snconk1.jpg][attachment=220622:snconk4.jpg][attachment=220623:snconk5.jpg][attachment=220624:snconk6.jpg][attachment=220625:P1010265.JPG][attachment=220626:P1010266.JPG]

Edited by Sambrook

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a Purple Heart Conklin 7 string in the late 90's. Absolutely incredible bass, beautifully made.

That is a truly amazing price for a bass of this quality. GLWTS.

Edited by karlfer

• 2 weeks later...

One more tempting bass from Sambrook... right after my Rikkers!

This time I will not be able to accept the offer, but... I look forward to seeing more of that new Maruszcyk fretless. Where?

Good luck to both seller and bold explorers of the 7 strings!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...