Why become a member? ×

BF Super Compact has arrived!..*REVIEW* of sorts

modelreject

Yes there appears to be a distinct lack of interest among my work colleagues with regards to bass gear too... Mrs C also doesn't seem overly bothered... :mellow:

The cat however is always interested in anything new that comes into the house... although admittedly more from a sniffing and working out if it'd be good for claw sharpening / sleeping on perspective, than a wider interest in the subtle aspects of bass tone.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1464875621' post='3063397']
Yes there appears to be a distinct lack of interest among my work colleagues with regards to bass gear too... Mrs C also doesn't seem overly bothered... :mellow:

The cat however is always interested in anything new that comes into the house... although admittedly more from a sniffing and working out if it'd be good for claw sharpening / sleeping on perspective, than a wider interest in the subtle aspects of bass tone.
[/quote]Yeah ... my cats couldn't care less about bass gear (cept when playing as they scarper) but they do love the cardboard boxes lol !

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1464875621' post='3063397']

[/quote]

I wasn't going to purchase the additional cover for my new cab as I'm always pretty careful with load ins/outs. But; with this cab being a bit bigger both of the cats have claimed it is the new best place ever to sleep and generally hang out upon. One cat is long haired and the other ginger, so the cover is much needed. Don't want car fur on my rat fur (covered cab).

With regards to the cat, at the moment, it's a bit like the monoliths appearing in Space Odyssey. Had the MB LM3 through it last night for a bit, very low volume, but it sounded sweet. Got the sound I wanted, but the real test comes tonight at it's first gig...and my first gig in over 10 years!!!

If I survive I will let you know how the amp performed.

Edited by modelreject

Okay. I survived! As did the equipment. Very loud.

I want to give you as much detail here with my review and will summarise most of it so it's a quick read.[list]
[*]I have not owned an amp for 10 years
[*]This was the first gig I have done it ten years
[*]I knew exactly the sound I wanted
[*]I had been reading forums and gathering information for 2 months before I purchased
[*]I ordered online without trying the cab or head
[*]I was able to play through a Markbass 802 and loved it. I have seen a local band play using the Markbass Tube 800 and Markbass traveller cabs
[*]I knew I wanted a Markbass head. LM3 sounded perfect with regards to price and will allow for an extra cab at some stage if required (but I doubt it after what I heard last night)
[*]THE HEAD - The LM3 gave me exactly the tone and sound I was looking for and more. A lot of people on this forum and others state that it is very clean sounding and doesn't colour and that is very true, but I also think it should be mentioned that you can get really dirty grinding sounds (I think the actual bass used is an important factor. I have a passive fender with Seymour Duncan hot rails which gives off a great vintage precision sound). Many people, from what I read, usually opted for a Tone Hammer or Genz Benz, but I have heard these and you can get that sound from the MB head. Master was at 12 oclock and gain at 9 oclock. The low/mid/high and MB filters were excellent and allowed tweaking with ease.
[*]THE CAB - Still breaking it it, but it just sounded superb. Really moved the air and with the head, allowed me to achieve a perfect balance when cutting through and blending with the other instruments. It did not struggle in the slightest and could have given it a lot more welly.
[/list]
A word about the rest of the set up. We had a laptop going through a PA and a very brave/loud drummer behind the PA speakers with no monitors. My bass set up sat out on it's own, but it all blended seamlessly.

Hope this is of some use to someone and if you have any questions, just pop them below :-)

Oh yes, and an image...https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1709512/gig.jpg

C

Edited by modelreject

Glad to hear you got sorted to your satisfaction C. That's a great combination that I used for years. (Although it was a LMII and G1 Compact.)

I gigged my BB2 last night in Tate's in Holywood and was asked to turn down!! The barmen couldn't hear the orders. :blink:

How did the gig go? Did you settle right back into it?

Frank.

Ha ha Frank. Bet it's a beast. Hope the gig went well. I settled into the gig 2 minutes right before the end lol. Went well. Good reception...and very loud! Onwards and upwards...and thanks again for having me round to try the cabs. Sealed the deal!

@M@23 yeah, the gain for me is more of a tone control. Didn't need that much bite and the sound setup was very strange. It's just what worked well for that scenario. Just happy that the rig was able to accommodate, which is what it's all about :-)

I really am just in awe at the sound that came out of the setup and a cheapie short scale student bass with modified pickups!

Edited by modelreject