Why become a member? ×

What a difference a string makes. DR Fat Beams.

bubinga5

@ £12.00 a set I'm using roto cheapest nickels. New set pretty much every gig as i like new strings so I'm changing them every week sometimes even twice a week if its two sweaty gigs back to back.
As much as every one raves about DRs, and I'm sure I would like em, it worries me that they would go dead too quickly and at the prices they fetch so for now I'm sticking with the cheapest.
I like the feel and my sound with them so maybe I'm just lucky?
I will take a punt on different strings from time to time but always come back to the Roto cheap nickels. I honestly prefer them. The Dunlop super brights I thought were rubbish.

Edited by bassjim

Hi Jim - give some Hi Beams a go. I know they are expensive but for me at least, they keep their brightness far longer than Rotos. So where I was changing my strings regularly - I don't need to so much now so the difference in cost is now insignificant. I'm yet to find a string that I like more!

Dunlop Super brights - I'm with you on those too!

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1470217221' post='3104108']
Hi Jim - give some Hi Beams a go. I know they are expensive but for me at least, they keep their brightness far longer than Rotos. So where I was changing my strings regularly - I don't need to so much now so the difference in cost is now insignificant. I'm yet to find a string that I like more!

Dunlop Super brights - I'm with you on those too!
[/quote]
Ok I will give em a go. next string order is next week so I will try em out.
I tend to play a lot in between gigging during the week, rehearsals, practising ect as well so they get a hammering on and off the pitch. A lot of the gigs we play , especially as its summer, get really hot and sweaty so they are gonna get some gunk!
I will, as ever , share my thoughts post gigs..... :)

I was planning on changing my strings every two to three months this year, just to try out a few different makes.

I put a set of hi beams on my favourite bass in February and they still sound so good that I have no intention of changing them again before they die.

Thanks to this thread I've ordered a 5 string set off Amazon - same gauges as the D'Addario Pro Steels I usually use, except the B string is 125 instead of 135; cost was £21.76, so a couple of quid cheaper than the D'Addarios. Looking forward to giving them a go.

Edited by lowland

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1470248738' post='3104501']
Bass Strings Online is your friend! And they sell DRs individually, if you want to customise gauges. Custom set of Fat Beams for a little over 20 quid! Even with postage and tax it still beats the crap out of any UK retailer's prices.
[/quote]

Can't see HiBeams individually :-(

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1470216410' post='3104098']
@ £12.00 a set I'm using roto cheapest nickels. New set pretty much every gig as i like new strings so I'm changing them every week sometimes even twice a week if its two sweaty gigs back to back.I got my last set of fat beam Dr,s for £26 posted. There a no brainer.
As much as every one raves about DRs, and I'm sure I would like em, it worries me that they would go dead too quickly and at the prices they fetch so for now I'm sticking with the cheapest.
I like the feel and my sound with them so maybe I'm just lucky?
I will take a punt on different strings from time to time but always come back to the Roto cheap nickels. I honestly prefer them. The Dunlop super brights I thought were rubbish.
[/quote] I really don't like roto sounds. They are cheap and nasty. Don't mean to offend anyone who plays them. Roto,s will last me 2 weeks playing everyday. DR,s will last me 2 months.They I wash them in degreaser and they are back to new for a month. The secret to DR,s especially fats is DO NOT stretch them.

Edited by bubinga5

Another fan of DR Fat Beams, been using them for years... they sound good from the beginning, the initial over-bright zing is not as annoying as in other steels, and it goes away soon... and they last long too. Currently on my SUB and Precision and soon the Maruszczyks too... The Stingray gets the EB Cobalts which are pretty cool too, but in a different way.

• 4 weeks later...

Very pleased with my 5 string set of Fat Beams bought thanks to this thread, the low B's an improvement on the Daddarios. The only downside - the Amazon UK price has shot up from £21.76 to £49.06! Am trying Flubit via Amazon to see what they can come up with, and will investigate Bass Strings Direct. I notice on the BSD site they offer the same set with either a 125 (as I currently have) or 130 B.

Edited by lowland

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1470223367' post='3104187']
I was planning on changing my strings every two to three months this year, just to try out a few different makes.

I put a set of hi beams on my favourite bass in February and they still sound so good that I have no intention of changing them again before they die.
[/quote]

Hi Beams have lasted the longest of all the DRs I've tried so far.