Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Musician Restoration.

W1_Pro

I've always had a soft spot for eighties Jap basses. The Musician, IMHO was one of the best of the bunch. A really nicely made guitar that could compete with pretty much anything. Why they discontinued it is a mystery to me....
Anyway, I bought one on eBay a little while ago. I got it for a reasonable price, but it was pretty battered, cosmetically, when it arrived.
I'd been very impressed with the work that Andy had done, on Norris' recent SB1000 restoration, so I got in touch and asked him to have a look at it.
Here it is in it's original condition.

Edited by W1_Pro

Aha, that worked, excellent.
So, Andy had a look over the bass, decided it was in pretty good shape electrically, but needed a stone and a set up, and after some valiant attempts to patch the old finish up, a complete respray.
Here is the bass being stripped down.

Ah- so it's yours! Very nice bass, if a little on the weighty side. I hope you don't mind but I had a quick noodle when I popped round to see him not long after you dropped it off. It plays beautifully and is going to be stunning when Andy has finished :)

Edit to say that Andy is also one of the three instructors at a guitar building course (more like a club really) at Rawlins College in Quorn on a Monday evening. I'm currently making a Telecaster guitar there - bass next! They have a page on Facebook, or I'll be happy to provide Andy's contact details via PM to anyone interested in joining

Edited by Norris

Hello Norris, yes it's mine and no, of course I don't mind.
Thanks are in order to you for 'introducing ' me to Andys work. What he's done so far looks very good indeed.
It is a nice player eh? I was very pleasantly surprised when I got it, and yes, it is bloody heavy!
Good luck with the telecaster, the guitar building course sounds like a hoot. I'd love to do something like that one day...

Dave Swift is a great exponent of these basses and uses one as his "go to" bass - we were both watching the same one on Ebay last week which had been fretted/defretted/refretted during it's life. (Name drop) Jools couldn't understand why somebody would do this. TBH nor could we...

[quote name='W1_Pro' timestamp='1464339896' post='3058542']
Thanks Highfox, and congrats on the acquisition. The fretless ones are lovely- does it have an unlined board?
[/quote]
Yes, here "She" is.
Had the tuners on the right side replaced with ones that match now.
[url="https://flic.kr/p/FBHcG9"][/url][url="https://flic.kr/p/FBHcG9"]I[/url]

[quote name='W1_Pro' timestamp='1464408217' post='3059270']
Highfox, did you manage to source Velve tune machine heads? One of mine is an odd one and I can't find replacements anywhere. If you have a source, I'd love to know!
[/quote]

Thanks.
Unfortunately I didn't manage to source any Velve's , when I took it to my luthier he had a box of old tuners and he just used the ones that matched best.
The neck is original and shows signs of wear on close inspection, and being neckthru I'd imagine they would be a pain to try and change.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Unfortunately I didn't manage to source any Velve's ,[/font][/color]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]​Ah well, heigh ho. it was worth a try. Thanks anyway![/color][/font]

• 1 month later...

Here's a quick update to this. Andy was unhappy with the first coat of stain, so he stripped it back.
Here is the bass after the re-refinish and clear coat, just awaiting a final buff- Lovely!

Edited by W1_Pro

I've got mine sat at my parents house. Great clear sounding bass. I did quite a couple of superglue repairs on the finish years ago which helped but stripped the bridges' finish which was not an improvement. I should try and get it sorted again.
I really like the body contours and cutaway styling on these, the huge headstock less so, mine has the two brown cover p90-ish pups

Edited by Winny Pooh