Why become a member? ×

Jamiroquai

Faithless

I'm quite a big fan of JK and Jamiroquai and would like to jam a bit more with their records, so, maybe someone here has transcribtions of their songs?

I don't have enough free time to take 'em by ear, and, I need to do better on reading, so, transcribies are killer-needed at the moment... :)

So, tell what ya have, I'll try to choose then...

Cheers,
Faith.

[quote name='Faithless' post='305823' date='Oct 14 2008, 12:10 AM']Dah, I've taken Runaway by ear long time ago, gotta say...

But, it was worth a try, thanks anyway, dude! :)

Cheers,
Faith.

P.S. Those tabs are quite sh1te, as far, as I've checked 'em...[/quote]

i am a big fun too i am waiting for these 2 volumes to come out mate the bass of jamiroquai is true love mate...

• 1 month later...

I have to admit to me it's quite frustrating following along with Jamiroquai records. Having been in the studio playing around with various production tools for quite a while now I find I can pick out some of the studio tweaks imposed on the bass. In particular the use of gating and high quality Eq's make a such difference to the phrasing and the tone of the bass that some songs are near impossible to reproduce satisfyingly with just a bass and an amp. Saying that, practise does, of course, make perfect. It just seems to me studio makes perfect-er.

EDIT - didn't realise this thread was ages old!

Edited by graemecohen

• 4 months later...

Sorry to dig this up from the past, but...For those interested in Jamiroquai transcriptions, you can find a few @ [url="http://www.thebassment.info"]The Bassment[/url], including (Don't) Give Hate a Chance, Seven Days in Sunny June etc. Plus there will be loads more added in the future.

Edited by Simon

I love the basslines in Jamiroquai songs, particularly Too Young to Die and When you Gonna Learn.

Problem is I'm only a beginner in terms of technique and alot of them are quite fast/technical. Are there any you would say are slightly easier too learn?

[quote name='Rich44' post='466782' date='Apr 19 2009, 03:38 PM']I love the basslines in Jamiroquai songs, particularly Too Young to Die and When you Gonna Learn.

Problem is I'm only a beginner in terms of technique and alot of them are quite fast/technical. Are there any you would say are slightly easier too learn?[/quote]

You Give Me Something, some from the Travelling Without Moving album possibly. I suppose from a beginners point of view they can be quite technical.

[quote name='Simon' post='466903' date='Apr 19 2009, 07:15 PM']You Give Me Something, some from the Travelling Without Moving album possibly. I suppose from a beginners point of view they can be quite technical.[/quote]

Yeh, thats great thanks, just about my level. I can just about play When you Gonna Learn, but its when you get to stuff like Don't Give Hate a Chance, faaar to quick for me! :)

[quote name='graemecohen' post='344240' date='Dec 3 2008, 04:37 PM']I have to admit to me it's quite frustrating following along with Jamiroquai records. Having been in the studio playing around with various production tools for quite a while now I find I can pick out some of the studio tweaks imposed on the bass. In particular the use of gating and high quality Eq's make a such difference to the phrasing and the tone of the bass that some songs are near impossible to reproduce satisfyingly with just a bass and an amp. Saying that, practise does, of course, make perfect. It just seems to me studio makes perfect-er.

EDIT - didn't realise this thread was ages old![/quote]

Hi

I know this thread is old, but can you tell me what the gating does to the phrasing of the basslines?

[quote name='AM1' post='467133' date='Apr 20 2009, 12:34 AM']I know this thread is old, but can you tell me what the gating does to the phrasing of the basslines?[/quote]

Don't pursue this line of questioning. Phil Collins was known as a kick-arse prog rock drummer before he started delving into the world of noise gates. :)

[quote name='The Funk' post='467162' date='Apr 20 2009, 01:47 AM']Don't pursue this line of questioning. Phil Collins was known as a kick-arse prog rock drummer before he started delving into the world of noise gates. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Are you following me? :D

Come on, what's this gate business all about? :)

[quote name='Rich44' post='466782' date='Apr 19 2009, 03:38 PM']I love the basslines in Jamiroquai songs, particularly Too Young to Die and When you Gonna Learn.

Problem is I'm only a beginner in terms of technique and alot of them are quite fast/technical. Are there any you would say are slightly easier too learn?[/quote]

"When You Gonna Learn" was played by Andrew Levy from Brand New Heavies, that's why it's much more laid back than the other early Jamiroquai stuff.

Blow Your Mind is pretty easy, if you ignore the fills he slips in. It's a lovely groove too.

Traveling Without Moving is pretty easy to play, and the chorus section is really sweet. High times is pretty easy too but it's on a 5-string.

[quote name='AM1' post='467639' date='Apr 20 2009, 05:06 PM']Are you following me? :rolleyes:

Come on, what's this gate business all about? :)[/quote]

A gate just provides silence when there's no level to cross a certain threshold, so combined with a compressor it could make a bass sound pretty well defined.

A lot of engineers these days if they're using a digital audio workstation will physically trim noise between notes to make a take sound more perfect. I suppose a gate would be a rough n' ready, less labour-intensive way of doing the same job.

Personally I think the 35 metric assloads of compression was what gave Stuart Zender his sound, that and his Warwicks.

Edited by thisnameistaken

I don't know how advanced you are in your playing, but take it from an old fart.........the best thing you can do is to work them out for yourself. It improves your ear and technique like nothing else. It might seem like hard work but it is worth it in the end. If you need to slow things down buy a program like "transcribe" or "amazing slow downer".

Edited by rslaing