Why become a member? ×

Bass Player Competence Study - for my PhD research

EvilSmile

Finished on 3rd attempt.
I got confused when it asked what keys you can play in. If you don't read (which wasn't asked) you can play in any key with equal proficiency.

What confused me here was did the questioner appreciate this? I think the OP may not have thought about this.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1463210212' post='3049485']
Finished on 3rd attempt.
I got confused when it asked what keys you can play in. If you don't read (which wasn't asked) you can play in any key with equal proficiency.

What confused me here was did the questioner appreciate this? I think the OP may not have thought about this.
[/quote]

Exactly the same for me.

[quote name='kusee pee' timestamp='1463211573' post='3049498']

Exactly the same for me.
[/quote]
I think what makes it confusing is that we want to give good, useful data. Yet we get thrown by the questioner asking for information that we think will be useless without knowing more about the person's skills and knowledge.

There's a question about playing speed. No details there on if this is purely playing speed or whilst sight reading. Also, if sight reading, is it with prior knowledge of the piece, or from cold?

The OP may want to re-think this and have another go.

Edited by Grangur

Done - took a little time - and I didn't perceive the questionnaire to be about reading ability.

Many people seem to be able to play in many keys even if, like me, their reading ability is not good - to me it's a fundamental of being versatile enough to play with a range of other people and especially singers (although I have come across some guitarists who resolutely refuse to play in any key but E and possibly A, in spite of those keys not suiting the singer at all).

Edited by drTStingray