Why become a member? ×

Jeff Berlin interview Bass Magazine

Prosebass

[quote name='ped' post='295315' date='Sep 30 2008, 12:26 PM']but the fact is he has more fans than you and it seems that fact is unbearable for you!

So they are different, too technical for you, bad shoes/hair, whatever. Big deal.

Why some of you have to get so over the top about it is beyond me.[/quote]

I think the problem lies in the fact that he has half the fans that he thinks he has. Or at least manages to convey that impression when being interviewed.

That and the fact he mostly plays music that people pretent to like. If you say its crap, you get called jealous/uneducated/untalented. (2 out of 3 are true in my case).

As for going over the top, some people are just like that.

And he does dress like a second rate accountant on a day off. I bet his jeans are elasticated.

Oh dear. Another poo slinging match?

I wouldn't mind having a chat with both of them to be honest! Jeff has loads of experience in lots of different musical situations and places, and also very knowledgeable and technical; I'd be happy to have a discussion about that. Also, whilst I don't totally dig the Beatles music, I do (on occasion) admire their songwriting ability. Paul has survived how many years of drugs, fame and the general lifestyle of a music 'legend' (forgive the term).

Look at the positives! Let us try to stop being so 'British' and on the offensive all the time.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='295334' date='Sep 30 2008, 12:45 PM']Oh dear. Another poo slinging match?

I wouldn't mind having a chat with both of them to be honest! Jeff has loads of experience in lots of different musical situations and places, and also very knowledgeable and technical; I'd be happy to have a discussion about that. Also, whilst I don't totally dig the Beatles music, I do (on occasion) admire their songwriting ability. Paul has survived how many years of drugs, fame and the general lifestyle of a music 'legend' (forgive the term).

Look at the positives! Let us try to stop being so 'British' and on the offensive all the time.

Mark[/quote]

Apart from the odd "cockface" and calling Berlin a dick, I think there's been very little mudslinging. I'd like to think its mostly tongue in cheek.

I'd rather chat with McCartney, because although I don't like the guy, his life has been amazingly interesting.

I think Berlin is pretty far removed from what the average player is all about. I don't have the time or inclination to be as technical as him. I think for that reason, it would be a pretty boring conversation with him. He'd be talking about a Cmaj7 and I'd be asking him if he wants a pork scratching.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='295323' date='Sep 30 2008, 12:34 PM']I think the problem lies in the fact that he has half the fans that he thinks he has. Or at least manages to convey that impression when being interviewed.[/quote]

Oh... well that is still a number of fans.

[quote]That and the fact he mostly plays music that people pretent to like. If you say its crap, you get called jealous/uneducated/untalented. (2 out of 3 are true in my case).[/quote]
I dunno - you can't pretend to like that sort of music very easily. Who have you found to be a 'pretender'? I would be surprised if you have found a single person. If you say it's crap you are missing the point of music entirely, and I know you are capable of a much more reasoned debate.

[quote]As for going over the top, some people are just like that.[/quote]

Some are, yes. These people lose all credibility in a discussion when they use some of the language that has been banded about on this thread.

[quote]And he does dress like a second rate accountant on a day off. I bet his jeans are elasticated.[/quote]

Yes I bet they are too. Probably not even real denim. At the end of the day, even if you didn't know what he did, as soon as you see him you KNOW he HAS to be amazing at SOMETHING.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='295345' date='Sep 30 2008, 12:53 PM']I think Berlin is pretty far removed from what the average player is all about. I don't have the time or inclination to be as technical as him. I think for that reason, it would be a pretty boring conversation with him. He'd be talking about a Cmaj7 and I'd be asking him if he wants a pork scratching.[/quote]

In agreement with you here. lol

It's always the same...a player does/says something different and they get shot down...." :) Oh no! there's a bass player venturing past the second fret...and look! he's leaving the rest of us standing.....how dare he!" Get a grip! these players deserve to be where they are. There's too much of this "god he's good, he must be a cock!" Face up to it, these type of players/musicians are good and not just in one area of music.

I can't believe that this is getting out of hand the way it is.
Look, I love all sorts of music - (and I can't believe, either, that I should feel the need to justify myself on teh inertnetz) - I don't like jazz but more specifically I'm not a fan of musical w*nkery that involves having to listen to someone wearing bad slacks knock one off over the thumb for his own onanistic self-edification.
I'm not in the least bit jealous of him or anyone else and arguing that I am is specious on your part, to be honest.
He, you, and anyone else are quite welcome to play and make whatever you feel will make your life worthwhile, just the same as I am perfectly entitled to make darkly ambient whifflings that do nothing for 6 minutes.
As far as I was aware there was no law against expressing - however verbosely - an opinion.
As it happens I actually appreciated a fair amount of what he had to say in the interview, BUT I don't like his music, I am not impressed by the talents of the section of the bass-playing fraternity that he represents and beyond anything more than at a purely humourous level I don't care what he wears or how he looks.
It seems to me there is a degree of sacred-cowesque snobbery underlying the - and let's be honest here - rather puerile accusations of jealousy and technical ineptitude, albeit in the latter case by implication, and so forth. The fact that I don't like bass guitars with more than 5 strings is not because I lack the technical ability to play them, it's simply that I, BassMunkee, don't like them - I don't see the need for them. I understand them, but I still don't see the point. I think there is a lot you can do with 4 strings and some judicious firkling.
Am I right or wrong? Does it really matter? It's an internet forum, get over it.
The one thing we all are is interested in music, in whatever form that interest expresses itself.
Some of us are more forthright about our opinions than others, JB likes to call people Dum Shits [sic], I like to use proper words - a lot, particularly if I think they sound amusing, and yes you are absolutely correct in what you think that says about me, and, yeah, I'm really insulted.
So is that clear enough?

Oh and Ped you quoted what I said out of context, it was written for effect hence the deliberate misspelling, but never mind.

Oh and I called JB a c*ckface deliberately because he seemed to feel it was ok to resort to insults - (again for effect hence the smiley - see what I did there?), but it's interesting that what I said was picked up on...

Edited by BassMunkee

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='295355' date='Sep 30 2008, 01:01 PM']I can't believe that this is getting out of hand the way it is.
Look, I love all sorts of music - (and I can't believe, either, that I should feel the need to justify myself on teh inertnetz) - I don't like jazz but more specifically I'm not a fan of musical w*nkery that involves having to listen to someone wearing bad slacks knock one off over the thumb for his own onanistic self-edification.
I'm not in the least bit jealous of him or anyone else and arguing that I am is specious on your part, to be honest.
He, you, and anyone else are quite welcome to play and make whatever you feel will make your life worthwhile, just the same as I am perfectly entitled to make darkly ambient whifflings that do nothing for 6 minutes.
As far as I was aware there was no law against expressing - however verbosely - an opinion.
As it happens I actually appreciated a fair amount of what he had to say in the interview, BUT I don't like his music, I am not impressed by the talents of the section of the bass-playing fraternity that he represents and beyond anything more than at a purely humourous level I don't care what he wears or how he looks.
It seems to me there is a degree of sacred-cowesque snobbery underlying the - and let's be honest here - rather puerile accusations of jealousy and technical ineptitude, albeit in the latter case by implication, and so forth. The fact that I don't like bass guitars with more than 5 strings is not because I lack the technical ability to play them, it's simply that I, BassMunkee, don't like them - I don't see the need for them. I understand them, but I still don't see the point. I think there is a lot you can do with 4 strings and some judicious firkling.
Am I right or wrong? Does it really matter? It's an internet forum, get over it.
The one thing we all are is interested in music, in whatever form that interest expresses itself.
Some of us are more forthright about our opinions than others, JB likes to call people Dum Shits [sic], I like to use proper words - a lot, particularly if I think they sound amusing, and yes you are absolutely correct in what you think that says about me, and, yeah, I'm really insulted.
So is that clear enough?

Oh and Ped you quoted what I said out of context, it was written for effect hence the deliberate misspelling, but never mind.

Oh and I called JB a c*ckface deliberately because he seemed to feel it was ok to resort to insults - (again for effect hence the smiley - see what I did there?), but it's interesting that what I said was picked up on...[/quote]

I don't venture past 4 strings either, heard some great stuff on ERB's though.

[quote]It was out of context? Could have fooled me! The fact is these absurd hysterical rantings are just that.[/quote]
Absolutely, in the sense that my original post was written in what should have been an obviously OTT manner. 53 string bass? 4 million year old swamp wood? the use of the word "egregious"...?
I mean really, if I'd resorted to using the word f**k a lot and calling everyone dum shits [sic] and accusing them of being envious then I could understand it...

[quote name='Jase' post='295350' date='Sep 30 2008, 12:57 PM']It's always the same...a player does/says something different and they get shot down...." :) Oh no! there's a bass player venturing past the second fret...and look! he's leaving the rest of us standing.....how dare he!" Get a grip! these players deserve to be where they are. There's too much of this "god he's good, he must be a cock!" Face up to it, these type of players/musicians are good and not just in one area of music.[/quote]

I'm not really too bothered about what music he plays, he's hardly jumping out of my radio every 5 minutes.

I dislike him for just being a bit of a cock. Nothing to do with doing something different.

I dislike him in the way I dislike Andy Peters. He's also a cock.

Not meant to insult BM and definitely heavy handed. I should really have just not responded to the debate as I have heard so much on this issue before and just get tired of certain individuals inability to give credit where credit is due. I think there is a big difference between not liking something and undermining it's validity in the eyes of others
I will desist in future.

As for calling me a cockface, thats fine. :)

Edited by jakesbass

[quote]Not meant to insult BM and definitely heavy handed. I should really have just not responded to the debate as I have heard so much on this issue before and just get tired of certain individuals inability to give credit where credit is due. I think there is a big difference between not liking something and undermining it's validity in the eyes of others
I will desist in future.

As for calling me a cockface, thats fine.[/quote]
Accepted.
And you're not a cockface.

Can we all just be friends now?

[quote name='Clarky' post='295381' date='Sep 30 2008, 01:35 PM']You are all missing something important here

Is Jeff Berlin the alter ego of Ron Jeremy?

[attachment=14156:jb.jpg][attachment=14157:ronjeremy.jpg][/quote]

We are discussing as to whether "he is" not if he has the "biggest".... :)

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='295229' date='Sep 30 2008, 10:56 AM']BBC, Bassmunkee, Budget Bassist. the tone of your rancour suggests nothing other than caveman like envy.[/quote]
Don't get me wrong, i wish i was as talented as him, but it's not necessarily his music i dislike, it's his 'i'm the best and anybody that doesn't do it the way i do it is an idiot' attitude that i dislike.

[quote name='Clarky' post='295381' date='Sep 30 2008, 01:35 PM']You are all missing something important here

Is Jeff Berlin the alter ego of Ron Jeremy?

[attachment=14156:jb.jpg][attachment=14157:ronjeremy.jpg][/quote]

Sorry I thought we'd already establish that he was the alter ego of John Holmes (and not the one on Radio 2) ....

[quote name='OldGit' post='295407' date='Sep 30 2008, 02:05 PM']Sorry I thought we'd already establish that he was the alter ego of John Holmes (and not the one on Radio 2) ....[/quote]
Ah, but John Holmes alas is no more whereas Jeff/Ron is very much alive and ****ing

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='295375' date='Sep 30 2008, 01:24 PM']I'm not really too bothered about what music he plays, he's hardly jumping out of my radio every 5 minutes.

I dislike him for just being a bit of a cock. Nothing to do with doing something different.

I dislike him in the way I dislike Andy Peters. He's also a cock.[/quote]

Andy Peters??? What's he got to do with the topic? Anyway, I thought you disliked Berlin because of his attitudes to certain things and his chin stroking noise..so in your opinion, he's a bit of a cock and it's nothing to do with doing something different or the music he plays.....just you think he's a bit of a cock?

[quote name='Jase' post='295431' date='Sep 30 2008, 02:28 PM']Andy Peters??? What's he got to do with the topic? Anyway, I thought you disliked Berlin because of his attitudes to certain things and his chin stroking noise..so in your opinion, he's a bit of a cock and it's nothing to do with doing something different or the music he plays.....just you think he's a bit of a cock?[/quote]

He plays sh*t music, but so do a number of people on here who I don't think are cocks.

His general attitude makes him a bit of a cock though. When you combine that with the sh*t music, it makes him an uber-cock.

The guy talks as if he's is the most succesful and influential bass player that has ever lived. Mention his name anywhere apart from a bass forum/magazine and people have no idea who he is. Thats the problem with owning a bass school I suppose. He's surrounded by people kissing his arse like he invented the instrument.

And then, to make things worse, he ties massive looped laces on his sh*t trainers.

I found that version of Crossroads very enlightening. I didn't enjoy his bass playing at all, I don't think he's a great groove player at all but when it came to his soloing (which is playing on a bass, not bass playing if you catch my drift) I was impressed. So he's a great soloist but a dubious bass player IMO. Based on that I'm not sure how useful his opinions are for 90% of bass players.

Alex

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='295452' date='Sep 30 2008, 02:43 PM']He plays sh*t music, but so do a number of people on here who I don't think are cocks.

His general attitude makes him a bit of a cock though. When you combine that with the sh*t music, it makes him an uber-cock.

The guy talks as if he's is the most succesful and influential bass player that has ever lived. Mention his name anywhere apart from a bass forum/magazine and people have no idea who he is. Thats the problem with owning a bass school I suppose. He's surrounded by people kissing his arse like he invented the instrument.

And then, to make things worse, he ties massive looped laces on his sh*t trainers.[/quote]

Of course, you're right on him not being known outside the bass world but I don't think that matters really. He does have some valid points and good music....at the same time some of his convictions I don't agree with and that goes for some of his music too.

The trainer thing you go on about is funny, I'll admit. Ok, talking of his weirdness you find sh*t, has anyone seen the youtube vid of him and his son???? Now, that's a little weird :)

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=O6d7rPF9yig"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=O6d7rPF9yig[/url]

Please don't go down the Ozzy route Jeff :huh: