Why become a member? ×

Korean made Squiers

RickyV

Ok. I have taken a punt on a Squier jazz bass. It was actually advertised as a 50th anniversary model but my suspicion is that it is probably a normal 96 Squier jazz with the little sticker put on the back of the headstock. The more important thing would appear to be that it is made in Korea with what I have read on the internet tending to hold Korean made models in fairly high regard.

Really just wanted to see what other peoples experiences of Korean Squiers are. Good or bad I am happy to hear about it.

Cheers

Yes. I have an old 1991 Korean Squier P bass. It has a beautiful neck. I have 'bitsa'd' it with an SPB1 pup and a tort guard and a Fender decal.
The neck has also been aged to give it a vintage look.
It plays and sounds fantastic.

Edited by Hobbayne

I only have experience of MIK Squier guitars, not basses, but IME it depends on the factory - you can use one of the many online s/n decoders to find who made what.

Early MIKs were Young-Chang builds, and were excellent quality, same as their own-brand (& now sought-after) Fenix copies. However there are some nasty Samick-era Squiers with ply bodies & dubious quality control.

AFAIK this isn't the case with all Samicks but while I'd happily take a blind punt on a Young-Chang, I'd want a proper look at something from a different maker.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1461579911' post='3035754']
I only have experience of MIK Squier guitars, not basses, but IME it depends on the factory - you can use one of the many online s/n decoders to find who made what.

Early MIKs were Young-Chang builds, and were excellent quality, same as their own-brand (& now sought-after) Fenix copies. However there are some nasty Samick-era Squiers with ply bodies & dubious quality control.

AFAIK this isn't the case with all Samicks but while I'd happily take a blind punt on a Young-Chang, I'd want a proper look at something from a different maker.

Jon.
[/quote]

The bass I have bought is a 1996 model with a CN serial number. From what I can see these were made by Cort. I am really hoping this is a good thing!

I had a Samick made '91 made Precision. The neck was quite remarkable for a bass I paid very little for, it was like flame maple, it was the reason I kept hold of it for so long. The body was ply, but that wasn't an issue...someone apparently thought is was a US Std body, so there you go. :) The only thing that was crappy about it were the pots and pickups, easily sorted for little money.

I've noticed that all Squier prices seem to be on the up. I've seen sellers asking well in excess of £200 for Korean Squiers. They are good, but I don't think they're that good. All the more odd as at the time they were roundly slagged off by more 'knowledgable' types.

All that said, I actually prefer my Indonesian made VM P bass I bought a couple of months ago, a better bass all round and about the same price as I paid for the MIK I had.

I have a couple of Cort made Korean Fenders (a Tele and a Showmaster). The Showmaster is great and easily the equal of some of my other, more expensive and more esteemed guitars, however the Tele is fine but not quite as good - the most noticeable difference is the sharpness of the fret ends, which apparently is quite a common complaint with some Korean Fenders.

Edited by darkandrew