Why become a member? ×

Venues that pay in South West

Dom in Dorset

I'm trying to get some work for my new band. We are a tongue in cheek country rock / southern rock trio (music for rednecks) , we formed the band as an attempt to earn some extra cash and having played a triumphant first gig we are now thinking "What now?"
Having spent most of my time playing original material and not worrying about the commercial side of things I'm not sure where to plug this new band.
Any suggestions?
https://www.facebook.com/The-Dooks-981940681886219/?fref=ts

It can be tough matcing up a set that is not the same as 90% of covers bands.
Some places embrace something different as they seem to be the more serious music pubs which
have their regular clientelle...and those places and punters know the value of keeping the rosta fresh.

Around here, there is quite a demarcation line and certain bands know their 'patch' in that regard.

You could always check out the pubs before hand or know the bands that play these places and see
how they go.

No one wants a poor turn-out and some places can't afford to indulge a band enough to give them 4 gigs, for example,
and help them build up a following..or have the chance to..

In that regard, it can be a bit catch 22... but bands are expected to make the difference on the takings..and
a venue can't afford too many blow-outs per year.... IME.

Quite a balancing act all round.

Edited by JTUK

Never had those issues - in fact there are a couple of venues we rang who offered us a couple of nights without even hearing us. Maybe we charge too little!

I guess around bruton it is a bit harder than in the big city of yeovil, as there is a bit more space between pubs and most of them are eating pubs, but just ring every pub that you see and ask if they have bookings, can't hurt.

The singer in my previous band just walked into pubs, venues that she knew put on music and gave them a sales pitch...in one afternoon we had 4 gigs booked, 2 in that month and 2 the month following.

EDIT: that was in North Devon btw.

Edited by Marvin

Try;
Three Horseshoes - Bradford On Avon, good crowd and pub
The Griffin - Frome, has it own micro brewery and great pub
The Sheppey - Somerset levels somewhere, eatery but appreciative hipster audience

I notice that Cheddar Ales are looking for bands as well for there festival - not a great payer but good food and excellent beer thrown in and a good crowd.

These pubs pay and pay well if you prove you can pull a crowd.

The Bell, Ash, Somerset
The Wunderbar, Midsomer Norton, Somerset
The Blue Lagoon, Bristol
Mothers Ruin, Bristol
The Ropemakers, Bridport, Dorset
The Greyhound, Corfe, Dorset
The White Horse, Wimborne, Dorset

I've got about 30 more in my address book, but those are the ones we regularly play.

Depends upon what you mean by paying well. It's mainly small country pubs and £200-250 is the going rate unless you get functions.

Skidder has pointed you in the right direction. Lemonrock covers pretty much all the venues round here and contact details are on the site.

[quote name='paddy109' timestamp='1460995188' post='3030486']
We played a great little pub in Bruton but I am sure you have checked out very local venues.
[/quote]
Probably The Castle, I've played there many times but it's just free beer (always welcome but not what we are after with this band) A great place to test the water and we will be back in the autumn to test out a longer set.