Why become a member? ×

Suitable Double (Upright) Bass

joey1234

The size you need is a 3/4 which is the usual size used in jazz, rockabilly etc. 3/4 is not a true proportion of a full size bass, a 4/4, any more than is a 1/2 size. They are simply just a bit smaller than each other.

Hope I haven't made this too complicated.

Stage electric double basses have a good reputation for start instruments but my advice is always to go for a real double bass. The electric ones are ultimately unsatisfactory and tend to sound like Fretless electrics rather than a double bass. This means that as soon as you get an electric upright, you start gassing for an acoustic.

My EUB is a re-badged Stagg with the brand name Rockitt. It's a very affordable way to get a basic feel for DB if not that authentic sound. However it suits my purposes as a relatively cheap and compact "experiment" and sounds a reasonable approximation :)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1460732754' post='3028313']
Stagg electric double basses have a good reputation for start instruments but my advice is always to go for a real double bass. The electric ones are ultimately unsatisfactory and tend to sound like Fretless electrics rather than a double bass. This means that as soon as you get an electric upright, you start gassing for an acoustic.
[/quote]

+1

I have owned an oldish 3/4 upright for a couple of years.
Czech with a solid top and laminate otherwise.
Neck was broken off pre me and repaired by the luthier friend who sold it to me.
I paid him £150 for it and at the time I was a little wary of a bass with a repaired neck, but apparently there are an awful lot of them out there.
And o fcourse a couple of years on, nothing has moved and it still sounds fine
Dont think you will find much out there for £150 these days but I have seen a fair few in the want ads and for sale ads on here for £250 to £450, which is pretty reasonable.

If you find an older upright that is still playable you will have a decent instrument that will do you fine for quite a while.
Cheap upright electrics seem to vary hugely in both quality AND playability.
And I have yet to hear a cheap one that actually sounds much like a traditional upright.

Edited by ivansc

Seen a beat up but servicable 3/4 bass on facebook today fir £125!!! Yes, thats right. Sold in minutes sure, but i have seen a few at 2-300 quid that seem ideal for starters.
Bass players market uk on fb, put a post up asking if anyone has a cheap one for sale, ir of course check the classifieds here.

I took the plunge early january and manage to buy a stentor 1950's with a broken neck. I repaired it quite easily with a repair that is practically invisable. Veryvery strong too. Its solid and will not fail ever again i am quite certain.
I put a post in the db section with photos, it was a most enjoyable project.

So, i now have a bass i am properly connected too, in an almost organic kind of way, which i love. It plays great and i have taken to it well. So well infact i havent played eb with the band at all.

Do it. You wont regret it.

( please note, i did have to buy a new car to transport it though hahahaha)

Edited by Wonky2

If double bass is what you want, I'd recommend starting on one rather than an EUB. I played one for several years before buying a double bass, and in retrospect I don't think it was the right way to go. You can learn your way around the neck on EUB, but it's hard to really develop your tone production and I felt like there was still a big learning curve for me after I got a double bass. EUBs can be cool, but IMO they sound better after you've got your sound together on acoustic.