Why become a member? ×

Japanese Bass builders.

TheGreek

Not sure whether this justifies being pinned but I found this website giving details of Japanese Bass Builders from 1950-1980. Some well known brands, others less so. What do others think?

http://hubpages.com/entertainment/Japanese-Manufacturers-of-Made-In-Japan-Badged-Guitars-from-1950-to-1980

The web's full of these lists compiled from older lists off the web and seemingly researched from Ebay listings.

Not really very helpful at all, this does the typical thing of conflating brands and factories, and associating territory-specific importer rebrands with specific factories, trading companies or Japan-specific brands - without even pointing out which is which. Most importer brands came from numerous different sources, based on what was the best deal at the time.

Any accurate info on this list is rendered indistiguishable from the gobbledygook, unless you already know the facts you're looking for.

NB 80s Marlins were never MIJ - they seem to be either low-end Korean or rebadged Musimas from the old DDR!

Jon.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1460578123' post='3027056']
I have 2 MIJ Fender P basses. Does that count as Japanese build.

Top notch stuff as far as I'm concerned.

Blue
[/quote]

😊
Yes blue, they count!

The article is a bit odd- did the 'golden age' really span 1960-1980? I would have guessed 70's and 80's.

Also no mention of Fender under Fujigen Gakki, which surely must be an oversight.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1460310401' post='3024575']
Quite Interesting.

My 1980s Marlin Sidwinder maker is there.

Terrible bass but I learned on it and played many gigs with it. Now fretless and in a gig bag in the loft.
[/quote]

My first bass was a Marlin Slammer which was a red precision with maple fretboard. Complete with peeling chrome on the bridge.

Funnily enough mine ended up fretless, finishless and eventually in the bin to be replaced with a Riverhead Jupiter by the time I was 16

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1460663532' post='3027763']
My first bass was a Marlin Slammer which was a red precision with maple fretboard. Complete with peeling chrome on the bridge.
[/quote]

Same here - A black Marlin slammer P-Bass copy with a maple fingerboard. Bought for £25 in 1988. I now know it was an awful Bass, but at the time I didn't know any different and I did some serious learning on that thing! Often wish I still had it, just for nostalgia.