Why become a member? ×

Basschat Noodle Bar - APRIL

Skol303

It's certainly not backlash. I think we just need to stick to the original premise of making it as simple and level a playing field as possible just bass, amp or direct, hit record maybe edit the length. Anyone can do it even with a phone infront of a cab and not have to worry what they are up against.
The use of a looper I feel would not be in the spirit of the comp imo as we might as well all go hell for leather and join in the composition challenge.
Not to sound harsh but if we are going to allow loopers etc I think I would bow out the comp myself as I would feel I couldn't compete with the more advanced noodles due to the tech basically.

well, i decided to record and upload what i had in mind. (its [url="https://soundcloud.com/end-offline/april-noodle"]here[/url])

I pressed record on my DAW, pressed record on my looper (which started the hihat sound i use for a metronome), recorded the loop, and set it to repeat, then changed some pedal settings and started playing over the top. The only edits i made in post where to cut out the silence at the start, and cut the tails down at the end so it was under 1min. No edits done to any time i was playing a note.

I'll enter it if people are okay with that, but don't want to ruin this for others so am happy to withdraw it if popular opinion deams so.

Good discussion guys! The looper rule is currently very ambiguous.

Give that - for this month - let's just keep things lax and agree that it's ok to set up the layers of a looper outside of the 60 seconds - so you can prep the loops before you hit record.

We'll then maybe tighten up this rule for next month.

I do like the PRESS RECORD - PLAY BASS - PRESS STOP suggestion by Rob. I think that gets across the 'rules' nice and succinctly, without there being too many 'rules'... which I'm also keen to avoid :) (being a closet anarchist).

So for this month, do as thou wilt and we'll fix the looper thing next time.

Sound fair?

Edited by Skol303

I'll admit to never having felt comfortable with the very word 'competition', which is why a adhere strictly to the use of 'Challenge'. To me, the very fact of entering (either the Noodle Bar or the Basschat Challenge...) is challenge enough, and the voting and stuff is just to give some recognition. 'Winning' is having posted a file; the rest is (again, to me...) just dressing. That's really why I started doing my 'Play Of The Day', as I find it slightly odd (old duffer that I am...) that all the music seems to to not get its full share of encouragement. I understand the notion of keeping it short and simple, and quite recognise the difference with the more elaborate compositions in the Challenge (many of which have no bass at all, or have never been physically played by human hands...).
Just sayin'; I may fetch our ESP Baritone guitar to have a bash. Does that count as a bass; that's how it's strung and tuned at the moment..?

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1460486979' post='3026199']
Good discussion guys! The looper rule is currently very ambiguous.

Give that - for this month - let's just keep things lax and agree that it's ok to set up the layers of a looper outside of the 60 seconds - so you can prep the loops before you hit record.

We'll then maybe tighten up this rule for next month.

I do like the PRESS RECORD - PLAY BASS - PRESS STOP suggestion by Rob. I think that gets across the 'rules' nice and succinctly, without there being too many 'rules'... which I'm also keen to avoid :) (being a closet anarchist).

So for this month, do as thou wilt and we'll fix the looper thing next time.

Sound fair?
[/quote]

I think that's fair for this time and we have nicely clarified the rules for next month, tightening them up. With the motto Press record- play bass -press stop. No loopers just the one bass track.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1460488753' post='3026236']
I'll admit to never having felt comfortable with the very word 'competition', which is why a adhere strictly to the use of 'Challenge'. To me, the very fact of entering (either the Noodle Bar or the Basschat Challenge...) is challenge enough, and the voting and stuff is just to give some recognition. 'Winning' is having posted a file; the rest is (again, to me...) just dressing. That's really why I started doing my 'Play Of The Day', as I find it slightly odd (old duffer that I am...) that all the music seems to to not get its full share of encouragement. I understand the notion of keeping it short and simple, and quite recognise the difference with the more elaborate compositions in the Challenge (many of which have no bass at all, or have never been physically played by human hands...).
Just sayin'; I may fetch our ESP Baritone guitar to have a bash. Does that count as a bass; that's how it's strung and tuned at the moment..?
[/quote]

Oh now what have you started with the baritone question! Lol

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1460483165' post='3026135']
well, i decided to record and upload what i had in mind. (its [url="https://soundcloud.com/end-offline/april-noodle"]here[/url])
[/quote]

I like the lead part over the top... sounds like something I may have taken illicit substances to in my youth :blink:

The bass guitar really is quite versatile and advances in technology are what will keep it relevant in the music of the future.

I'll enter it if people are okay with that, but don't want to ruin this for others so am happy to withdraw it if popular opinion deams so.
[/quote]

Your not ruining anything for anyone, don't let the looper thing put you off entering, the rule is yet to be clarified. The noodle bar is for everyone and the last things we want is to start scaring new entrants away!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1460488753' post='3026236']
[/quote]

Yes indeed... I used a six string for the first months noodle, mostly high register stuff that could easily have been playing on a guitar... does that count as a bass noodle?

I think in general, asides from a few guidlines to ensure the Noodle Bar remains open for all, the fewer regulations the better really. Let the voting sort out what constitutes a noodle and what doesn't.

It's important that the competition (challenge) becomes what people want from it... if it doesn't change and adapt it will fizzle out. There is so little interest in these BC monthly challenges anyway we don't want to start putting people off before they've started.

Edited by CamdenRob

I pressed record on my DAW, pressed record on my looper (which started the hihat sound i use for a metronome), recorded the loop, and set it to repeat, then changed some pedal settings and started playing over the top. The only edits i made in post where to cut out the silence at the start, and cut the tails down at the end so it was under 1min. No edits done to any time i was playing a note.

[/quote]

I liked that! Very . . . atmospheric!
Strong first noodle :)

I was only joking before too. Don't know if that came across.
All healthy discussion with regards to what can and cant be allowed.

Might join you with a looped noodle this month, just in case they do get banned by the hierarchy next month :ph34r:

Edited by FuNkShUi

Well here is mine for the month still recorded very simply but direct this time. This is a noodle I first did a year ago I think, been wanting to refine it and put it to use sometime I may just do that.
I personally don't think it suits my flatwounds though.

https://youtu.be/UqMRNUg0tss

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1460648570' post='3027618']
Well here is mine for the month still recorded very simply but direct this time. This is a noodle I first did a year ago I think, been wanting to refine it and put it to use sometime I may just do that.
I personally don't think it suits my flatwounds though.

https://youtu.be/UqMRNUg0tss
[/quote]

Like the riff style bit at the start... You wander off for a bit in true noodle fashion in the middle, then bring everything back together again for a few bars, before your rockstar twiddle at the end... I think this is your best one to date :)

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1460653026' post='3027659']
More racquet from me...

[url="https://soundcloud.com/leonard-smalls/miso"]https://soundcloud.c...ard-smalls/miso[/url]
[/quote]

You always manage to caress a tone from that Wal I can't even get close to from mine. There is something beautiful in the purity of your playing that I love... I know it's just a little noodle, but even in these little improv snippets you sound like a guy totally at home on the bass... I can't ever imagine you worrying about a gig or session. I bet you just turn up and get the job done with style... No fuss.

Of everyone I hear in the noodle bar, you and subsonic just sound so natural.

Great stuff.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1460696080' post='3027881']

Like the riff style bit at the start... You wander off for a bit in true noodle fashion in the middle, then bring everything back together again for a few bars, before your rockstar twiddle at the end... I think this is your best one to date :)
[/quote]

Haha interesting.
My lass was asking if it was one of my little noodles, said she "liked it" and my reply of course was "what do you mean little!?".

Going to have a good listen to the other noodles in a bit I actually really look forward to what people do its just so easy to listen to 60 seconds of just bass for me.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1460717738' post='3028100']
Here we go, then; not the baritone, but my Verithin trying out a newly-received EHX 'The Clone Theory' pedal (Thanks, Ratman...)...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/bc-noodle-2016-04"]BC Noodle April 2016 ...[/url]
[/quote]

Very summery Dad... it's a gloomy afternoon here in the office in London, but that has brightened things up nicely :)

What strings have you got on the Verithin? tapes? ... it really does sound very DB like.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1460726025' post='3028222']...
What strings have you got on the Verithin? tapes? ... it really does sound very DB like.
[/quote]

Yes indeed; Rotosound Trubass RS88M (Black Nylon...). They've been on this bass for almost a decade, now, and I only changed 'em then on a whim..! I've other basses, but the weight (or rather, lack of...) and the playing ease (no blisters here..!) make this my 'go to' bass. No, I don't do 'slap', and have use for neither picks nor tweeters..! :lol:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1460726963' post='3028229']
Yes indeed; Rotosound Trubass RS88M (Black Nylon...). They've been on this bass for almost a decade, now, and I only changed 'em then on a whim..! I've other basses, but the weight (or rather, lack of...) and the playing ease (no blisters here..!) make this my 'go to' bass. No, I don't do 'slap', and have use for neither picks nor tweeters..! :lol:
[/quote]

It's a lovely thumpy tone.

Never played a semi style bass before... it's on my list of things to try out along with an 8 string (pairs).

Edited by CamdenRob

[/quote]

That is in my view definitely a layered composition and not a noodle.
Not that I dislike it though, I just feel it's not the definition of what the noodle bar is all about.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1460653026' post='3027659']
More racquet from me...

https://soundcloud.com/leonard-smalls/miso
[/quote]

Interesting. Sounds very rear pickup jazz (I know it's not).
Think I echo some of the thoughts of CamdenRob.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1460717738' post='3028100']
Here we go, then; not the baritone, but my Verithin trying out a newly-received EHX 'The Clone Theory' pedal (Thanks, Ratman...)...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/bc-noodle-2016-04"]BC Noodle April 2016 ...[/url]
[/quote]

I like that a lot. Reminds me of one or two songs but I can't think what for the life of me. Thought it had a certain sound and a bit Lo Fi which maybe in a sentimental way reminds me of listening to an old lp.
Unlike camdenrob's thoughts, I thought it was a bit more deep, serious and mellow rather than sunny. Funny the way we each see things.

Edited by Twincam