Why become a member? ×

Lets Rate Luthier's Videos / Sound Cloud

pmjos

Guys,

Recently looking at options to buy I am frankly disappointed at the generally poor quality of Luthiers videos/ Audio Demo's.

I've seen good musicians slapping away in empty rooms, others where its obvious they have been pres-ganged into doing something on the quick, The amount of poor audio, is shocking.

It seems that Luthiers are simply obsessed with presenting a girlie mag website full of curves and sharing little or anything about the way the instruments actually sound. There are some notable exceptions such as the magical Rob Allen - Peter Kastner vid and I have to say Degier does a pretty fair job on some.

I know we are all obsessed with posing and have to have the latest obscure wood combination and a top wood that looks like melted cheese - but what about some well constructed, well recorded meaningful thought out demos.

When are Luthiers going to catch on that if they can present that unique tone proposition that we are after all bass players, musicians, people also obsessed with sound, musicality and tone.

We can't possibly get to try every bass we might like but if we had a good idea what we might be getting then we would make the effort and maybe even buy one on spec. I can honestly say that I know three people who bought a Rob Allen (myself included) on the strength of the Kastner video without ever trying one. I have no regrets because I heard what I wanted and I could reliably buy it. I bought the sound. is the RA pretty?, well its ok. But the sound.......

I know that not every vid shown on a maker site is created by them but they post them so fair game.

What do you think? a good one and a bad one: off you go.

This is my easy good example: The Rob Allen Kastner - 10/10
Shows the character and potential of the instrument, the rich resonant thick tones and the bright harmonics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycN9x_5MqHQ

This is a poor one if you ask me: Marleux Diva - 4/10
A very limited demonstration of just one sound and its dull as sh*t.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grmZ1ZAbmrY&list=PL6669E9EB39E28A55

You would probably be better looking for videos of people that have uploaded clips and playing the way an instrument should be played, rather than the luthiers clips that usually bear no resemblance to real use, and that includes the Rob Allen video

[quote name='pmjos' timestamp='1459255228' post='3014770']
We can't possibly get to try every bass we might like but if we had a good idea what we might be getting then we would make the effort and maybe even buy one on spec.
[/quote]

What, like everybody did before the internet you mean?

Oh, OK the internet is dead. Guess that cans that idea , where's my finest quill and parchment, I shall write to the finest purveyors of the said bass guitars and seek their deposition before I settle to tiffin!

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1459257632' post='3014818']
I think you can say the same about a lot of demo videos. Why the need to slap ?
[/quote]

This. I find almost everything from effects to rigs to luthier built basses are demoed very poorly. Than goodness for Dood and Ed Friedland!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1459276792' post='3015076']
This. I find almost everything from effects to rigs to luthier built basses are demoed very poorly. Than goodness for Dood and Ed Friedland!
[/quote]

:blush: :blush: Thank you!

Genuinely, if I had the opportunity I would video review every bass I could! - Maybe there's something I [i]can[/i] do. Thinking hat on!

The problem though is that, regardless of how good the review is, you're never going to get a really good idea of what a bass sounds like from a video you watch on a computer.
I certainly wouldn't base what could be a multi thousand pound purchase on a video clip & I'm surprised anybody else would either to be honest.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1459280792' post='3015131']
The problem though is that, regardless of how good the review is, you're never going to get a really good idea of what a bass sounds like from a video you watch on a computer.
I certainly wouldn't base what could be a multi thousand pound purchase on a video clip & I'm surprised anybody else would either to be honest.
[/quote]

Funnily, nearly every single review I do I remind the viewer to ensure they are listening through decent speaker or headphones - no laptop speakers or ear buds.
That said, no I think very few people would use a single review as a basis for a huge purchase. However, as a reviewer my job is to inform and offer my experience in support. That's also why you'll never see me ego-shred, slapfest or show off. it's not about me, it's about your next purchase choice.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1459280792' post='3015131']
[/quote]
[quote name='dood' timestamp='1459284864' post='3015201']
Funnily, nearly every single review I do I remind the viewer to ensure they are listening through decent speaker or headphones - no laptop speakers or ear buds.
That said, no I think very few people would use a single review as a basis for a huge purchase. However, as a reviewer my job is to inform and offer my experience in support. That's also why you'll never see me ego-shred, slapfest or show off. it's not about me, it's about your next purchase choice.
[/quote]

You're right of course RhysP, but the trouble is you are not going to get a good idea of what a bass sounds like in a shop either. What I do think good reviews (and sorry to make you blush Dan) can give is that you get to hear what a bass can do - i.e. a good mix of the tonal variety from the pickup combinations and tone settings, and how it sounds with different techniques (without showboating)!

I've got a pretty good idea of what I want eventually in my next bass from hearing some online clips. I won't be able to try it in a shop as it will mean some modding, but I need some Nordstrand Big Singles in my life!!