Why become a member? ×

Automotive brake cleaner.

Turk

Just wipe them down down and when they start to die , do what Marlowe DK does. Loosen them and 'spank the sh*t out of them'. Works fine so long as you don't have round cores and didn't crimp when you put them on. Try it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8OYeN9mAL4

Edited by pmjos

[quote name='Turk' timestamp='1459046146' post='3013141']
Anyone ever tried brake cleaner spray to clean strings ? It's a powerful de-greaser, and leaves no residue.

Any ideas as to why it may not be the brightest idea I've had today ?
[/quote]
That first response, in a nutshell!
If you really want to deep-clean your strings, boil in clean water for 10 minutes or so. You'll see the muck floating out.
Dry the strings - hang them in a warm place overnight - before refitting.
While they're off you can oil the fingerboard and polish the frets for good measure.

Edited by hubrad

Simmer down to a panic ! :rolleyes: Nothing quite like a fresh set of DR Low Riders. :)

I was just wondering, simply as a matter of interest.

I've used brake cleaner for 30 odd years, usually the Wurth brand. Not only as a brake cleaner, but also for general small area/component de-greasing.

Incidentally, brake cleaner is non-corrosive, and does not affect rubber seals, hoses etc. What beaut would manufacture a corrosive product for use on metal brake discs, drums and calipers ?

Worked a Saturday job in the auto industry as a teen.
Brake cleaner is a lovely 'carcenogenic' liquid commonly known as......trychoethylene and is used in the metal finishing industry as an aggressive degreasant.
It's not corrosive but it is very nasty indeed.
If you must use it do it outside and wear a mask/gloves etc... but yes better still give ur strings a plain wipe down or fit a new set instead.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1459174289' post='3014093']
There is also the homeopathy approach. A gallon of spring water, just add one drop of methylated spirits.
[/quote]
What a weak concoction! You need to make sure there is absolutely no methylated spirits within a hundred yards of it for it to have any effect!

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1459191782' post='3014326']
Worked a Saturday job in the auto industry as a teen.
Brake cleaner is a lovely 'carcenogenic' liquid commonly known as......trychoethylene and is used in the metal finishing industry as an aggressive degreasant.
It's not corrosive but it is very nasty indeed.
If you must use it do it outside and wear a mask/gloves etc... but yes better still give ur strings a plain wipe down or fit a new set instead.
[/quote]

I thought 'trike' had been banned as it was nasty, remember it from years ago in my engineering apprentice days.
Reckon I've had 15 cars, some done close to 200k miles and never had the need to clean the brakes!
It must be one of those substances that advertisers like to sell us, completely unnecessary (like furniture polish, vaginal deodorent, toilet cleaner, snake oil.....)

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1459197022' post='3014403']
I thought 'trike' had been banned as it was nasty, remember it from years ago in my engineering apprentice days.
Reckon I've had 15 cars, some done close to 200k miles and never had the need to clean the brakes!
It must be one of those substances that advertisers like to sell us, completely unnecessary (like furniture polish, vaginal deodorent, toilet cleaner, snake oil.....)
[/quote]

Maybe not the brakes but it strips grease like nothing else and thats just the bloody fumes...which is how they prepare alloy bits for anodising etc.

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1459200783' post='3014439']
....which is how they prepare alloy bits for anodising etc.
[/quote]

Yep that's what it was used for where I worked, on an industrial scale. We used to get bottles of the stuff (trade name 'Genklene') from the stores for cleaning small mechanical assemblies.

Now banned or being phased out, an ozone destroying chemical. [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1,1-Trichloroethane"]https://en.wikipedia...Trichloroethane[/url]