Why become a member? ×

Do we have a beginners corner?

Ashweb

Just a quick query. As a new bass player, I have been learning fast and trying to get to a decent standard of playing. I recently made a video of myself (on only my phone - nothing special) playing along to a track to A: See myself as I actually play and not how I think I do, and B: Gauge where I need to improve a bit.

This is where I thought BC could come in with a bit of constructive criticism; I realise I have some way to go before forming / joining a band and conquering the world :D but some advice from those with a bit more experience would be appreciated. I did look at the recording section but to be honest, I'd be embarrassed to put myself in the same thread as the guys already there; they all seem to be pro / semi pro standard.

So my question is; is there a section within BC for posting 'beginner' stuff for others to comment on or suggest improvements in technique etc? If not, should I start a thread somewhere?

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1459028902' post='3013066']
Post something in the "theory and technique" forum.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip Bassman, and to the other guys too. I've only gone and added a thread to '[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/281860-beginners-corner/"]theory and technique[/url]'

Might put a smile on a few faces if nothing else...

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1459030544' post='3013085']
I think it's a good idea to have somewhere for people to ask questions without feeling silly
[/quote]

People should not be made to feel silly for asking questions...no matter which section they post in. We were all "that soldier" at some stage. ;)

I agree with the OP that a sticky for beginners would be a good thing.

[quote name='Ashweb' timestamp='1459028620' post='3013061']
Just a quick query. As a new bass player, I have been learning fast and trying to get to a decent standard of playing. I recently made a video of myself (on only my phone - nothing special) playing along to a track to A: See myself as I actually play and not how I think I do, and B: Gauge where I need to improve a bit.

This is where I thought BC could come in with a bit of constructive criticism; I realise I have some way to go before forming / joining a band and conquering the world :D but some advice from those with a bit more experience would be appreciated. I did look at the recording section but to be honest, I'd be embarrassed to put myself in the same thread as the guys already there; they all seem to be pro / semi pro standard.

So my question is; is there a section within BC for posting 'beginner' stuff for others to comment on or suggest improvements in technique etc? If not, should I start a thread somewhere?
[/quote]

You see this is what sucks for new young bass players.

When I started playing in 1965, everybody was in bands. In my neighborhood you could hear bands in every garage and basement.

You didn't have to know how to play, one if your friends or mates would say " ok your playing bass". You got a bass and you started playing. Everyone was at the same level and you learned together. Sort of like on the job training.

It's why I'm glad I got into this in the 60s. There were just more guys interested in playing in rock bands then now.

I don't know what to tell you.

You could start a thread addressing issues however preface it with " For Beginers Only" I've posted "For Those Over 60" threads.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459127583' post='3013754']

You see this is what sucks for new young bass players.

When I started playing in 1965, everybody was in bands. In my neighborhood you could hear bands in every garage and basement.

You didn't have to know how to play, one if your friends or mates would say " ok your playing bass". You got a bass and you started playing. Everyone was at the same level and you learned together. Sort of like on the job training.

It's why I'm glad I got into this in the 60s. There were just more guys interested in playing in rock bands then now.

I don't know what to tell you.

You could start a thread addressing issues however preface it with " For Beginers Only" I've posted "For Those Over 60" threads.

Blue
[/quote]

While I started playing in 1994, Blue is bang on here. My mates Oasis wannabe band needed a bass player, I couldn't play but told him I'd like to do it, he reluctantly agreed because I was persistent (and to be fair they were having trouble finding anyone), I bought a bass and practised as much as I could between rehearsals - I know I frustrated them at the start because everybody else could play a bit but after only a month or so, I was able to play to all the tracks using roots, major/minor thirds/fifths/octaves. Simple bass lines of course but I added to them as I improved and got more confident. Try to join a band ASAP.

I think a beginners' corner is an excellent idea - what about it, Mods? I would encourage you not to worry about asking questions. Most of us oldies on here are pretty average players at best, so don't be shy.

Edited by Dan Dare

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1459160827' post='3013901']
I think a beginners' corner is an excellent idea - what about it, Mods? I would encourage you not to worry about asking questions. Most of us oldies on here are pretty average players at best, so don't be shy.
[/quote]

Weve got a good discussion of the OPs vid going in theory and technique which is afteral exactly where any discussions of actually playing bass should go, I really don't see why we need another forum, T&T barely gets any traffic as it is without diluting it further. Having said that could perhaps consider renaming T$T to something less intimidating to try and communicate that its not just for jazzers to discuss tritone substitution.

Edited by bassman7755

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1459164545' post='3013961']
Agree
Why not add a comment that its beginners friendly?
[/quote]

The current subtitle "[color=#777777][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]For those who like to push the boundaries a bit." [/size][/font][/color]sounds a bit elitist, perhaps something like "Whether your a beginner looking for tips or a veteran wanting to discuss esoteric theory, you will be welcome here."