Why become a member? ×

Extension Cabinet

JuliusGroove

Hey guys,

I currently have the Markbass CMD 102P which has a 2x10 cab, I love it but feel like I need something a bit bigger. I'm hesitant to get rid of it and get a 4x10 cab and head because the small cab size is really handy for smaller gigs, so looking at getting an extension cab.

Just wondering if people have any advice on what speaker size would be a good addition? I'm not a gear head by any standards but I'm assuming a bigger speaker size will push more air and be subbier? I'm figuring a 1x12 would be a good addition..

Cheers!

The best choice would be another Markbass 2X10 with the same ohms and maxium watts handling. Another 8 ohm cab will give you 500W @ 4ohms. You're currently getting around 300W @ 8ohms. A bigger diameter driver won't necessarily get you a lower frequency response.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1458845277' post='3011554']
The best choice would be another Markbass 2X10 with the same ohms and maxium watts handling. Another 8 ohm cab will give you 500W @ 4ohms. You're currently getting around 300W @ 8ohms. A bigger diameter driver won't necessarily get you a lower frequency response.
[/quote]

Yep, adding the same in again will in effect double what you already love.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1458846543' post='3011570']
Yep, adding the same in again will in effect double what you already love.
[/quote]

Is it strictly a volume kinda deal or will it be adding anything to the tone? The reason I considered adding a 15" is because I assume it will bring a heavier bottom end to my tone..

[quote name='JuliusGroove' timestamp='1458847231' post='3011580']
Is it strictly a volume kinda deal or will it be adding anything to the tone? The reason I considered adding a 15" is because I assume it will bring a heavier bottom end to my tone..
[/quote]

A 15" won't add any bottom end. Driver size has nothing to do with frequency response.

And it also seems like more bottom end as there`s now twice as much sound going on. A lot of time bassisness - to me at least - is "bigness" of sound, so doubling up on speakers works well. There`s also the advantage of having a nice modular rig, combo on its own for rehearsals/smaller gigs, both for the bigger gigs, with no need to re-eq as adding in a different sized cab is more than likely to change the sound.

[quote name='JuliusGroove' timestamp='1458905944' post='3011999']
Awesome thanks. Is it advised to keep the brand all the same or would it all work just as well combining gear? I love the Aguilar gear and wouldn't mind having an aguilar cab in my rig.
[/quote]

I would, you'll be sure of a good match. Also my OCD wouldn't allow anything else. ;)

[quote name='JuliusGroove' timestamp='1458847231' post='3011580']
The reason I considered adding a 15" is because I assume it will bring a heavier bottom end to my tone..
[/quote]That's a logical assumption, but also an invalid one. The size of the driver has little to no bearing on low frequency response.
[quote]2x10 has just about the same surface area as 1x15 and will move the same amount of air.[/quote]The same applies. Surface area has little bearing on the amount of air moved. That's determined by driver displacement, area multiplied by excursion.
[quote]Is it advised to keep the brand all the same or would it all work just as well combining gear?[/quote]The brand matters less than the drivers and cab configuration. Keeping them identical insures that you don't have phase interactions that can result in wonky tone, and that neither cab will be the weaker link in the chain.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1458920718' post='3012148']
True Bill, but as a working assumption, the excursion capabilities of a lot drivers are much of a muchness until you get into the realms of the most expensive
[/quote]That assumption is also without foundation. While it's true that most manufacturers don't use premium components there's still lot of variance in what can be found from the usual suspects.