Why become a member? ×

Music Man Sub Ray 4

Chienmortbb

I had a pass today so I spent the whole afternoon at Absolute Music in Poole. I was having a look at the basses, as you do, and the kind young man asked if I would like to try anything (ooh et missus).

I decided to try out a MM Sub Ray 4. Never played an MM type so;

First impressions. Nice bass for the price nice tone preamp works well nice neck shape.

The downsides were? The strings would make good nut files, rough as you know what. The action. Higher than Poole Bridge. Almost unplayable.

I realise that setups change but the relief looked fine by eye but the bridge saddles were way too high. Way over 1/8"

You could argue that Absolute should have set it up before putting it on demo but they have about 70 based and 200 odd guitars on demo. It would take a tech all year just to set up all those.

So surely the factories can make a better fist of setting up guitars and basses and even really cheap basses often have Daddario stings factory fitted. Remember the Sub is over £300. With all the love given to Harley Bentons, their MB4 at about £100 may be a better buy.

Edited by Chienmortbb

Make em too good and no one will buy a Sterling, make the Sterling too good and no one buys an EBMM, make them too good and no one buys a Stingray Classic!

Most budget brands are selling on the product itself, budget versions of known brands are selling on the reputation of the 'real deal' as it were.

Happens with everything, my sister has a Kia Sportage, 7 year warranty (unused on her last one swapped in at just under 7 years old), its a better car with more kit than say a BMW x3 but the badge says Kia not BMW so they have to offer something to temp you in, bmw can get away with a budget spec for 5 grand more than the kia as people will either put up with it to get the badge or (hopefully) upgrade to the higher spec model!

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1458684904' post='3009924']
Make em too good and no one will buy a Sterling, make the Sterling too good and no one buys an EBMM, make them too good and no one buys a Stingray Classic!

Most budget brands are selling on the product itself, budget versions of known brands are selling on the reputation of the 'real deal' as it were.

Happens with everything, my sister has a Kia Sportage, 7 year warranty (unused on her last one swapped in at just under 7 years old), its a better car with more kit than say a BMW x3 but the badge says Kia not BMW so they have to offer something to temp you in, bmw can get away with a budget spec for 5 grand more than the kia as people will either put up with it to get the badge or (hopefully) upgrade to the higher spec model!
[/quote]You are probably right. The MM close by had a lovely low action.

I find that these days I can see past all that because there's not much I can't fix. If I don't like the strings which are on it, I change 'em. If the setup's not right, I set it up to my liking. The only things I'm looking for when checking out a bass are electrical, structural and (in the case of a new bass) finish issues. Only these are costly/time consuming to fix and will make me think twice. There's no point to my mind about complaining about other things - factories churn these instruments out and I'm guessing that a final setup isn't factored into the cost of the instrument and would impact negatively on the final price.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1458729834' post='3010186']
If I don't like the strings which are on it, I change 'em. If the setup's not right, I set it up to my liking. There's no point complaining - factories churn these instruments out and a final setup would impact negatively on the price.
[/quote]

+1 Agreed, doing your own set-up should be a minimum requirement for a bass player - if you have to play a bass as it is straight from the factory you are going to be severely disadvantaged. The first thing I do when I get a new (or different) bass is to change the strings and adjust intonation and action. If necessary I'll shim the neck, too. These simple adjustments make such a huge difference to sound and playability.

I love that some basses have terrible action/setups like that. It's allowed me to get some bargains over the years! :lol:
I once bought an OLP from a guy... he was asking £120. The bass was in great condition, just terribly high action. I was happy to give him £120, and he said "you know what, because the strings are so high and old, just make it £100". Twenty minutes after getting home the bass had new strings and a good action...

Even with a poor set up you can gauge what a bass feels and sounds like.