Why become a member? ×

It's amazing what some people throw away!

chriswareham

So I've just moved house and had a load of stuff to take to the council recycling centre. Sitting on top of the skip containing electrical items is a familiar green carpet covered box - a Trace Elliot combo. I remark to one of the staff that it's a shame the former owner didn't have it repaired and sell it on or at least given it away. So he asks me if I want it. I say why not, and he clambers in to get it for me. One electrical inspection later - all of £17 - and it turns out it's not even broken, so I now own a BLX 80! Sounds a bit muffled at low volume, but cranked up it sounds great.

Edited by chriswareham

Our guitarist is known (sometimes) as 'Skip' Stroud, as he finds all sorts of useful things in skips. The bands lighting, an Ashdown 300w head and a Strat copy, for example!

He didn't find all these on the same day, obviously!

Certainly beats my only other skip find - a 2x12 sealed guitar cab. Unbranded cabinet, but the speakers were 70s vintage Celestions.

By the way Finndave, on your plectrum playing issue, I grip my picks between the tip of my thumb and the side of the first joint of my index finger. My remaining fingers are loosely straight rather than clenched. I use narrow "teardrop" shaped picks that I think are primarily intended for steel strung acoustic guitars. I don't find I need to exert much pressure from my thumb and don't get cramp even playing for hours on end.

Thanks for the tip, I can hold the pick between thumb and 'straight' forefinger, but can't bend the upper joint of the finger at the moment. My gig bag for tonight has the usual leads, strap, etc. plus a small box of picks and ibuprofen gel, ibuprofen caplets, codeine, and paracetamol. My physio basically said take what you need to get through it and deal with the pain tomorrow, she reckons I can't do any further damage just playing the bass.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1457809234' post='3002026']
Right, I'm sending Tuksu round :)
[/quote]

I'm a bit further away than Kuusankoski now. Not that I don't miss Finland, my (English) wife baked pulla yesterday and the memories came flooding back.

There's a young lady I know my the name of Michelle, a little scouse bird - stand up woman; one of the best keys players I've ever heard.

Anyhow, she passed a skip on the side of the street one day and saw a flightcase. She thought "my luck is in, a case for my stage piano" - she went to move it and either it was heavy or stuck...rang her mate and they pulled it out.

Fender Rhodes.

She still gigs it.