Why become a member? ×

First bass amp. Rumble or Ampeg?

CletePurcel

I'm going to try the Fenders on Monday. They are still at the top of my list.

I also saw that the shop has the tc electronics bg250 series. I might try those as well. Anyone know anything about them? The cheapest one is quite small and light but has the possibility to add another cab. And it's only £250 for 250 watts.

I'm also intrigued by the effects app that loads into the amp by mobile phone.

[quote name='CletePurcel' timestamp='1457205910' post='2996398']
...the shop has the tc electronics bg250 series. I might try those as well. Anyone know anything about them? The cheapest one is quite small and light but has the possibility to add another cab. And it's only £250 for 250 watts...
[/quote]

Pounds sterling per watt isn't a good way to evaluate an amp. :) The wattage of an amp won't tell you very much about how loud it seems to be or whether it sounds any good, and in any case TC have form for being, er... creative with their ratings.

Having said that, you have nothing to lose by trying one if you have the opportunity.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='CletePurcel' timestamp='1456928203' post='2993639']
The Rumble 100 is looking more of a steal at only £220. The 200 is significantly more expensive, but still within my budget.
[/quote]

The rule is to always go for as many watts as you can afford. The good thing about the new Fender rumbles (they are the ones with the retro look, silver cloth grills) is that they aren't expensive, sound good and are incredibly light.

I've played in a venue that had the rumble 100 and was heard ok, but my band is not particularly loud. With a loud drummer and an egomaniac guitarist I think the 200 watt rumble would be a better bet.

The whole series are INCREDIBLY light so don't worry about having to lug a big heavy box around.

Tried the rumble 100 at the shop. They don't have the 500 in stock. The 200 was substantially bigger and heavier plus another 160 notes.

It was versatile and sounded great.

But I also fell in love with a Japanese Fender jazz bass...

Still haven't decided. I will probably go back in the next couple of days.

[quote name='CletePurcel' timestamp='1457522894' post='2999277']
Having slept on it I have just ordered the Rumble 500. Hopefully I will not grow out of it too quickly. :)

Thanks again for all the friendly advice.

Cheers.
[/quote]

Good choice.
Nearly 2 years on mine and haven't had gas for any other amps. (except an unpractial 810 valve setup :) )