Why become a member? ×

Am Deluxe Jazz NOISE problem

jayv

Hello,

I just got my hands on a second hand Fender Jazz American Deluxe 2013. First tried it this morning and in passive mode - with full volume and tone at max it gives some noise, reasonable amount so I'm good with that. BUT in active mode the noise is pretty consistent and also increases with mid-eq control.

At first I thought it was my crappy cable (does it have a big effect on noise?), but after googling I've found posts regarding shielding to get rid of this problem. I'm too afraid to do those stuff myself hahahaha, so I'd like to know if there's any shop (I'm based in London SW) that is able to handle these. OR if there's an easy way to do the shielding by myself and where do I get those 'stuff'.

It's a lovely instrument, has a great luxurious feel (my first usa bass apparently). Without the noises it'd be perfect! Thank you.

Hi Jayv

Have you tried changing the batteries?

I would try this first if you haven't already. I encountered a similar sound issue with my second hand Fender American Deluxe Precision, changing the batteries sorted it out and was a lot less hassle than shielding the pots.

Has it got the "Noiseless" pickups?

If yours is the same problem, here are a lot of complaints about noisy noiseless pickups on Talkbass. Maybe another foot/shot moment from Fender? They all seem to be very happy after they've changed their pickups.

You can try Charlie Chandler's Guitar Experience at Hampton Wick and Chandler Guitars in Kew, or the Bass Gallery in Camden.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1456577430' post='2990418']
When did they go to a passive option on the active Deluxe?
[/quote]
The pickups on the American Deluxe are passive, but there is an active preamp. It's quite common to change the pickups and keep the preamp. Active pickups are less common, EMG being the main one that springs to mind, as far as I know changing EMG pickups to passive would mean changing the rest of the electonics too, but no such problem with your bass.

Change the battery, and try it through another amp, in fact try changing everything in the chain before doing anything drastic.

Hi jayv, shielding is quite easy to do , the copper tape can be bought from Amazon or eBay and there are detailed instructions on talkbass, no special tools are needed just a screwdriver and some care .I recently bought an okoume jazz bass which has n3 noiseless I did the shielding on that bass but it made no difference to the noisey operation, I would like to add I have shieded 3 jazz basses before and they were all successful, in the end I replaced the pick-ups and now have a completely silent bass. The pick ups are just not very good.

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1456579706' post='2990439']
The pickups on the American Deluxe are passive, but there is an active preamp. It's quite common to change the pickups and keep the preamp. Active pickups are less common, EMG being the main one that springs to mind, as far as I know changing EMG pickups to passive would mean changing the rest of the electonics too, but no such problem with your bass.

[b]Change the battery, and try it through another amp, in fact try changing everything in the chain before doing anything drastic.[/b]
[/quote]

I would go with this as a first step. Just plugging your gear into a different socket might help. I used to have an amp that would make a clicking noise if I plugged it into the sockets in my dinning room but was fine in the living room.

But I would also try a different amp as well.

[quote name='handman' timestamp='1456583474' post='2990480']
Hi jayv, shielding is quite easy to do , the copper tape can be bought from Amazon or eBay and there are detailed instructions on talkbass, no special tools are needed just a screwdriver and some care .I recently bought an okoume jazz bass which has n3 noiseless I did the shielding on that bass but it made no difference to the noisey operation, I would like to add I have shieded 3 jazz basses before and they were all successful, in the end I replaced the pick-ups and now have a completely silent bass. The pick ups are just not very good.
[/quote]

If I can shield a bass almost anyone can. It's fairly straightforward and there are plenty of instructional videos online. As 'handman' says though, sometimes it won't work and it's just a set of crap pickups.
The worst thing about shielding is catching your fingers on the edge of copper tape...it's like a paper cut but worse.

Thank you for all the replies. I'll try changing the batteries/amp/sockets/room first then.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1456572366' post='2990347']
Has it got the "Noiseless" pickups?

If yours is the same problem, here are a lot of complaints about noisy noiseless pickups on Talkbass. Maybe another foot/shot moment from Fender? They all seem to be very happy after they've changed their pickups.

You can try Charlie Chandler's Guitar Experience at Hampton Wick and Chandler Guitars in Kew, or the Bass Gallery in Camden.
[/quote]

Yes it does come with the N3 Noiseless pups. Thank you for pointing out those places !

The n3 may cost £100+ but price vs quality is a very subjective matter the jbxn are great pick ups at a reasonable price never seen any negitive comments about them unlike the n3, I have use them in another jazz bass and would highly recommend them, plus it's only £40 if you don't like them I can't see any problem with selling them on.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1456577430' post='2990418']
When did they go to a passive option on the active Deluxe?
[/quote]

I have one from 2011, it's a black / maple passive / active USA deluxe. Through a tube amp, the bridge pickup passive tone rolled off is 100% perfect for the Jaco tone, it's really satisfying to play. The pickups are dead quiet on mine, and in active mode that mid cut / boost makes a huge difference, it gets rid of that weedy thin sound jazzes can sometimes have, but it's still an authentic j tone, not an artificial over-the-top one. Love the sound and feel of these basses, I tested a bunch of different jazzes when I was looking around for one and the USA deluxe felt and sounded the best to me.

Edited by project_c

[quote name='handman' timestamp='1456590718' post='2990588']
The n3 may cost £100+ but price vs quality is a very subjective matter the jbxn are great pick ups at a reasonable price never seen any negitive comments about them unlike the n3, I have use them in another jazz bass and would highly recommend them, plus it's only £40 if you don't like them I can't see any problem with selling them on.
[/quote]

apparently it says £10 in the site
http://www.entwistlepickups.com/pickup.php?puid=JBX
this one right? I might give it a try if the problem persists after the easy fixes !

• 3 weeks later...