Why become a member? ×

slow phaser sound?

richrips

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a slow phaser sound with an edge to it. The bassline is linear like Placebo's Bitter End and I want that edgy thick sound but I want a slow phasing effect on it abd preferably to retain low end (LPF?). I remember hearing an example but can't find it online.

Does anyone get the sound I'm after? Links to an example? Is there a phaser that will let me add grit/grind/edge? Does one exist with a low pass option? My standard tone is clean funky tubey fat so using the amp for grit is less than ideal.

Cheers, Rich

I had the MXR 'script' phaser but it seemed to lose the bottom end (at least from a couple of feet away). I now use a Boss BF-3 Flanger because it has the 'bass input' (i.e. effect operates at hi-pass keeping bass clean), and with a slow sweep sounds phaser-ish enough. Although to be fair this is at the local Dog & Duck where most punters can't tell the difference between sax and harmonica, let alone bass flange v phase.

MXR phase 45 - won't do dirty, but there's certainly no loss of low end. The phase 90s are good too, but a bit more 'full on' than the 45s (double the number of phase stages), you might need to blend two signals to get the sound though - one for each effect; that's often done on studio recordings

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1456398456' post='2988523']
The trouble with the p45 is the loss of volume. Mine gives a definite volume drop once engaged.
My evh p90 doesn't lose any low, but won't do the edgy bit
[/quote]

Yeah, I seem to remember 'upping' a resistor at the output stage to bring it up to unity volume. Lovely phaser though.

Cheers for the replies!

The BF-3 actually seems very close to what I'm after. Never considered a flanger before but that seems to retain depth (low-pass on the bass input right?) and still sounds phaseresque on the top end.

Anyone able to link a suitable song with slow phasing sound on a a linear driving bassline? No worries if not.

Cheers

R

[quote name='richrips' timestamp='1456426792' post='2988973']
The BF-3 actually seems very close to what I'm after. Never considered a flanger before but that seems to retain depth (low-pass on the bass input right?) and still sounds phaseresque on the top end.
[/quote]

Yes, the effect only processes the highs, which are then blended with the uneffected lows for the output signal.

It really depends on what sort of phaser sound you're after... If you're after a "tight" phase, the MXR or Boss are great, but if you're after a "wider spread" psychedelic type phase, then the EHX is the "go to" pedal.

There's always the MoogerFooger 12 Step Phaser, Red Witch Moon Phase and loads of other boutiquey pedals to consider.