Why become a member? ×

The Year Of Birth Bass

BigRedX

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1458308291' post='3006451']
That book is in both German and English translation. In truth, so much of it is strictly factual (photographs with legends etc.) that even schoolboy German would be pretty much sufficient.

Any time you're in London, give me a bell.
[/quote]

Thanks!

[quote name='Baxter' timestamp='1458558888' post='3008502']
Cool. I was born in 68 - the fender year of the Telebass......... Just so happens I play a 51 RI whichis a MK1 Telebass by any other name. Do I get a prize or anything?
[/quote]

You get this cake

Edited by keefbaker

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1456511394' post='2989920']
AFAICS from "The Burns Book" by Paul Day and "Pearls And Crazy Diamonds" by Per Gjörde the only Burns Basses made in 1960 were the Artist and the Sonic. Baldwin didn't take over Burns until 1965.
[/quote]

Correct. I was there. And I knew Jim Burns. Oh and I briefly owned a Sonic bass and an Artist guitar from the very early days. AND a Fenton-Weill bass from around the time Jim started getting involved...

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1459584826' post='3017795']
Correct. I was there. And I knew Jim Burns. Oh and I briefly owned a Sonic bass and an Artist guitar from the very early days. AND a Fenton-Weill bass from around the time Jim started getting involved...
[/quote]

I really like my sonic bass - it was my first bass and saw me through all of the 80s. I'd probably be quite happy with a 1960 Artist bass. Is there any way of accurately dating them? The books don't give any indication that there is for the early models, and my Sonic had already been so heavily modified by the time I got it, if there had been a serial number or date sticker, it was long gone.