Why become a member? ×

Play of the Day, Basschat Composition Challenge, February...

Dad3353

:thank_you:

Thanks, folks. It's therapeutic, to listen through, several times, all of these jewels. Gives me something to aspire to, and helps keep my English in practise..! :blush: Anyone could do it, really, it only takes time, patience, time, spare time and a comfortable armchair. Oh, and a bit of spare time. Given all that, it's a doddle (and a pleasure...). B)

Thanks for the write-up Douglas :)

I totally agree about the movie vocal samples sounding harsh. I put them through Native Instruments' Driver and I've just been tweaking about with the track and they sound much more in place if I take that effect off. I've also tweaked it so that it doesn't sound like it all sits back in the soundstage (a lesson learnt about mixing on headphones only!) Once I upgrade my Soundcloud I think I'll replace it.

Aw, shucks... Stop it; it's embarrassing..! (... but thanks, all the same..! It's good to know that they are, at least, read... :hi: )

For those with time for it (I know there are many that are too busy...), could I suggest that a 'making of', including any 'trade secrets' or anecdotes, may be an informative, entertaining and useful follow-up to the voting..? Just an idea...

^ Good idea.

I reckon post up any notes on process in the current 'Voting' thread - as the 'Get Writing' thread tends to get forgotten once the voting starts.

BUT... I suggest we include such notes in the 'Writing' thread from then on (i.e. during next months challenge); perhaps inviting everyone to add some notes when they post their SoundCloud link. If they want to, of course. No obligation :)

My thoughts would be that I wouldn't want to read anybody elses inspiration and ideas before I had been having a good go at my own , the likes of Douglas have a completed product before I have got my idea together , and I wouldn't want to be have any of my thoughts coloured IYSWIM .

that sounds terribly precious but its not meant to be :lol:

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1456654808' post='2991001']
My thoughts would be that I wouldn't want to read anybody elses inspiration and ideas before I had been having a good go at my own , the likes of Douglas have a completed product before I have got my idea together , and I wouldn't want to be have any of my thoughts coloured IYSWIM .

that sounds terribly precious but its not meant to be :lol:
[/quote]
I'd agree with this, precious as it is :lol:

I like this idea, but maybe it's something to submit once the deadline has passed or keep it in a separate thread from the general challenge thread?

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1456654808' post='2991001']...and I wouldn't want to be have any of my thoughts coloured...
[/quote]

Heaven forbid that I should colour [i]anyone's[/i] thoughts..! :o

:lol:

I was thinking that t'would be best [i]after [/i]the voting, so as not to 'skew' people's listening choices, but I'm not overly fussed, either..? In the Voting thread would be fine for the write-ups; I'll see about doing one shortly...

No problem chaps, I'm easy! Let's maybe stick with posting it in the Voting Thread.

PS: I understood this to be about spilling the beans on the technical aspects of production, rather than the process of finding inspiration from the picture. Again, I don't mind either way. It's all sounds useful :)

Ah yes , but if you start spilling the beans about which reverb you used on the bagpipes and banjos , you can imagine how crestfallen I would be when my own piece was also about to be a bagpipe and banjofest , and you would do it a million times better , so I would have to completely rethink my ideas especially if Dad is colouring me into a hippy at the same time :D

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1456670437' post='2991202']...if Dad is colouring me into a hippy at the same time :D
[/quote]

Nah..! Been there; done that..! My next ambition is to convert you to hedonism, or black voodoo; I've not decided yet. Or Viking..? Yes, maybe Viking. I can just see you, proudly astride the prow of your drakkar, ochre and yellow square-rigged sail billowing behind your horn-adorned helm, fine golden locks blown back, arm aloft... :D

Edited by Dad3353