Why become a member? ×

Using a PA speaker

guybrush threepwood

Just an idea I've had (which might be a terrible one), but I wondered if there are any negatives in using a powered PA speaker as a rig?

I'm enjoying a pretty clean, crisp sound at the moment, so could it be a good idea to pair one with a preamp? I'd then have stage sound and DI covered.

I know there might be some styles that really need an amp, but I'm mainly only playing jazz, folk and a bit of blues these days, so I thought it could work well, be a light carry, and lower in cost.

I heard one of these and thought the low end was pretty good, and the specs aren't bad at all. http://www.altoproaudio.com/products/ts212

Am I missing something? :)

Guest bassman7755

My experience with using budget powered PA speakers is that they run out of low end headroom pretty quickly when used as a dedicated bass rig, but admittedly at least on paper the one I used to use a rehearsal amp was lower spec that that one. I'd probably want to be rocking 2 of them for any moderate volume gig.

If I personally was going to go for a powered speaker for bass, money no object then I'd stump up for one of [url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/FR800.htm"]these[/url]:

Edited by bassman7755

If you buy a decent enough PA speaker, then yeah, I would take a PA rig over a bass rig any day for my rig. A decent top will run as good, if not better than an equivalent bass cab. Of course, it all depends you having the preamp of your choice in between your bass and PA cab(s) to get what you want. A PA cab loaded with speakers with 4" voice coils. Yup. Yes please.

I've not got experience of the cab that you have posted... so in this particular instance, your mileage may vary.

Firstly be reassured it isn't a bad idea or even a new one. It's no different from using a stage monitor either really.

having given long complicated answers to this question in the past I've thought of a simple one.

The bass speaker in the PA speaker is pretty much like the bass speaker in a dedicated bass rig.

Cheap ones won't handle the power or deep bass well. Don't expect to get similar quality for much less than the cost of a bass speaker and amp. Any saving will only come because they are made in greater numbers.
The bass output is limited by cone area in exactly the same way. So a single 10" cab won't do it, or probably all but the very best 12's, so you are going to need a pair probably, though you could add a sub.

Bass speakers should be optimised for bass and often are voiced for bass. PA speakers may have a gentle roll off to give better clarity elsewhere or optimised in other ways for full range sound. They will almost always have a flat response which may not be to your liking, though i like the sound they give whenever I use mine.

Like buying anything the best advice is to try before you buy to see if you like the sound.

Just looked at the link. The Alto's won't really be 500W as that will be shared between the horn and the bass speaker. With a 2.5" voice coil the speaker will handle no more than 300W if you are lucky, less at low frequencies so think of this as the equivalent of a cheapish 300W bass combo. Alto sound OK but aren't really anything like top of the range, they are kind of best of the cheapies. The plastic cab is likely to resonate quite a lot with bass going through.

I recently bought a pair of behringer b312a powered pa speaker's for backline, very powerful and more than enough bottom end easily. Was going to use my bassbone preamp with one them,well one of them, no need for 2,but got a tc rh450 for a great price and trace 2x10 cab.so I've never tried the pa speaker's at a gig,bit I'm sure it would be great

Some of those at Maplin are worth a look too.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/c/dj-studio-and-audio/live-sound-and-studio/pa-speakers?gclid=CLWftoT5kMsCFVG6GwodFicPiw

Someone at the Herts Bass Bash had some. They were certainly impressive for the money.

Edited by Grangur