Why become a member? ×

Half Moon Herne Hill

Mykesbass

We have seen loads of music pubs close for various, often spurious reasons of late, but this one really is too big not to take notice of; The Half Moon, Herne Hill is being taken over by Fullers, in a deal with the landlords, the Dulwich Estate, a charity that owns the three local public schools and a lot of other local property.

There is a campaign to get it re-opened as a music pub, but Fullers have announced they will be opening it as a gastro pub with children's area (gastro pubs are not exactly thin on the ground in the Half Moon's vicinity)..

If this iconic venue can get trampled over in this manner I don't see much hope for any others, so please, if like me you care about these sorts of things please give the campaign some support via Facebook [url="https://www.facebook.com/groups/savethehalfmoon/?fref=ts"]https://www.facebook.com/groups/savethehalfmoon/?fref=ts[/url] or Twitter.

Why did it close down 2 and a half years back? If it's because it wasn't making money then either it was being run poorly (I'm pretty sure The Half Moon was one of the better run music venues) or the demand in the area for live music isn't high enough to sustain it. I know it's a real shame to lose live music venues but they, like any other business, need to be profitable. The history of the building is great and it has seen some great bands but that alone doesn't make a business case.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1455725615' post='2981864']
It was flooded and heavily damaged, I think.
[/quote]

Ah I see. In that case it's a shame that Fullers got there first. Were there any other organisations in the running to take over there or were Fullers the only ones who showed interest?

I live minutes away from his place. This is happening everywhere in London, as a direct result of gentrification. As wealthy people replace 'normal' people, the shops and places to eat/drink also change to accommodate their needs. Culture in London is dying. The only thing you can do here anymore is stuff your face. Which isn't bad in itself, but it's no replacement for the endless cultural movements London has always been renowned for.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1455725884' post='2981866']

Ah I see. In that case it's a shame that Fullers got there first. Were there any other organisations in the running to take over there or were Fullers the only ones who showed interest?
[/quote]

The Dulwich Estate (who are the freeholders) bought out the previous lease after the flood and the made an unsuccessful attempt to turn the building into apartments.

When that fell through, they agreed a new lease to Fullers. Whether anyone else was in contention is unknown, because The Dulwich Estate have not discussed it.

The Dulwich Estate is a registered charity which owns about 1500 acres on behalf of fee-paying Dulwich College school and has been criticised for increasing rents on other local property by 50% recently, forcing some businesses to close.

The Half Moon has been declared an Asset of Community Value under the Localism Act 2011, which offers it some additional protection under planning rules, largely on the basis of its musical heritage. Dulwich Estate launched an challenge to that ACV status this week.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1455728592' post='2981900']
I live minutes away from his place. This is happening everywhere in London, as a direct result of gentrification. As wealthy people replace 'normal' people, the shops and places to eat/drink also change to accommodate their needs. Culture in London is dying. The only thing you can do here anymore is stuff your face. Which isn't bad in itself, but it's no replacement for the endless cultural movements London has always been renowned for.
[/quote]

At pretty much the other end of Railton Road, another music venue, The Canterbury Arms in Brixton closed in September. Demolition is just about complete to make way for apartments

http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2015/12/brixtons-canterbury-arms-boarded-up-and-soon-to-be-demolished-to-make-way-for-yet-more-luxury-flats/

Guest Jecklin

I have lived in this area pretty much my whole life.

The half moon pub has had some sketchy patches in its past but was on the up through the 2000's.
The landlord who leased it just before the floods wanted to keep the successes going, but when the place was flooded he received no insurance payment whatsoever as he had had the lease for under a year!!!
He very nearly went bankrupt and as the building has some listed status certain techniques (read expensive) were used to dry the place out.
I guess he untangled himself from the nightmare and dulwich estates took it over to turn it into flats.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1455735472' post='2981977']
Just been reading up and Dulwich Estates sounds like a posh old boys network who don't give a monkeys about the local area.
[/quote]

Dulwich is ridiculous. The village is home to some of the biggest snobs in London, the whole place is a giant toff's club. I can't wait to move away from this area. 2 more weeks and I'm out of here.

Edited by project_c

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1455779574' post='2982283']
Dulwich is ridiculous. The village is home to some of the biggest snobs in London, the whole place is a giant toff's club. I can't wait to move away from this area. 2 more weeks and I'm out of here.
[/quote]

Yep, always has been - worked in the Dog & Vomit (Crown & Greyhound) nearly 30 years ago, and it was just as bad back then. Amazed they never put a fence up to keep the plebs out!

The Crown & Greyhound is shut for a refurb at the moment, so I suspect Fullers are jumping at the chance to get some of their clientele.

Also, here's well known restaurant critic and local resident Jay Rayner and his investigations on Dulwich Estate and the wider situation in the area: http://www.jayrayner.co.uk/news/dulwichcollege/

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1455779574' post='2982283']
[/quote]

You're not going to Highgate are you?

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2016/02/12/people-eavesdropping-posh-mums-north-london-comedy-gold/

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1455785191' post='2982332']

[url="http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2016/02/12/people-eavesdropping-posh-mums-north-london-comedy-gold/"]http://www.thepoke.c...on-comedy-gold/[/url]
[/quote]

Highgate really is another world... I walked through there at the weekend and it was all mock tudor gated communities :blink:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1455785685' post='2982336']
Highgate really is another world... I walked through there at the weekend and it was all mock tudor gated communities :blink:
[/quote]

I like to think it's as much to keep them in as to keep us out

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1455785191' post='2982332']

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2016/02/12/people-eavesdropping-posh-mums-north-london-comedy-gold/
[/quote]

I would find that hilarious if it wasn't so depressing... This is happening all over the city. The whole of London is getting eaten by these people! It wasn't that long ago that Highgate was a bit rough and relatively cheap, I rented a room there about 10 years ago for 50 quid a week. I love north London, much prefer it to south and I wish I could move back there instead. I used to live in St Johns Wood until last year and found that less snobbish than Dulwich and Herne Hill, believe it or not. As it is, I'm moving to the arse end of s.e. London, because it's the only place we can still afford a whole (tiny) house, practically in the suburbs, but I can't wait to be amongst some 'normal' people again. I do miss the old London a lot, even if it was a bit rougher round the edges.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1455788116' post='2982370']
I would find that hilarious if it wasn't so depressing... This is happening all over the city. The whole of London is getting eaten by these people! It wasn't that long ago that Highgate was a bit rough and relatively cheap, I rented a room there about 10 years ago for 50 quid a week. I love north London, much prefer it to south and I wish I could move back there instead. I used to live in St Johns Wood until last year and found that less snobbish than Dulwich and Herne Hill, believe it or not. As it is, I'm moving to the arse end of s.e. London, because it's the only place we can still afford a whole (tiny) house, practically in the suburbs, but I can't wait to be amongst some 'normal' people again. I do miss the old London a lot, even if it was a bit rougher round the edges.
[/quote]

The old London simply does not exist any more... there are no undiscovered pockets of cheaper housing anywhere near the center. Places like Brixton, Clapham, Walthamstow and even Stoke Newington that ten years ago were vaguely affordable, you now will not get a house for anywhere near half a million.

There is a block of flats going up around the corner from me on the outskirts of Camden, nothing special and a good ten minute walk from the nearest station. For the half of the development that isn't social housing, prices for a studio flat (everything in one room and a separate bathroom) start at 695'000 and all flats have been sold before the building work is complete.

Mrs C and I are resigned to renting for the years we have to work in London, then we will buy a house when we retire somewhere cheaper :)

Edited by CamdenRob

One positive story for south-east London pubs is [url="http://www.ivyhousenunhead.com/"]http://www.ivyhousenunhead.com/[/url] , which was rescued from property development by the local community. It is a great pub, with real ales, food, and live music etc many nights of the week.

[quote name='jrixn1' timestamp='1455790829' post='2982398']
One positive story for south-east London pubs is [url="http://www.ivyhousenunhead.com/"]http://www.ivyhousenunhead.com/[/url] , which was rescued from property development by the local community. It is a great pub, with real ales, food, and live music etc many nights of the week.
[/quote]

I know it well, we nearly moved to Nunhead. (we were all set to buy a flat in Ivydale road, but then the estate agents tried to shaft us by lying about the lease so we had to pull out). Nice community feel to that area at the moment.

[quote name='Sausages' timestamp='1455804150' post='2982580']Used to do The Greyhound in Fulham Palace Road a lot as well. Wonder if that's still there?
[/quote]

Closed, I'm afraid. As is The Kings Head at the other end of Fulham Palace Road.

I used to play both of them and the Half Moon Herne Hill at the end of the 80s and early 90s.