Why become a member? ×

Gigs with band member missing?

Leonard Smalls

This happened twice in an acoustic trio that didn't last much longer than the two times it happened. I was the missing person the first time, and it was a tough gig by all accounts. The second time the guitarist couldn't make it, and I moved onto guitar for the gig. The singer and I ended up kicking out the guitarist very soon after.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1455098163' post='2975769']
I don't want to bash the bishop, but shades on a man of the cloth??
[/quote]

...or clothes on a shady man..? One black candlestick or two white faces..? Hmm... :unsure:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1455098021' post='2975766']

Hmm... a whole band of cut-outs and recorded playback..? Then whoever turns up can simply be part of the audience.
[/quote]

We played a gig once where it was just me and the drummer; we didn't know till the day before that it would be only the 2 of us. We got 2 members of our support band to come and jam for an hour. In that case the audience may have been happier with jazz renditions of Cage's 4'33"...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1455098163' post='2975769']

I don't want to bash the bishop, but shades on a man of the cloth??
[/quote]

You never heard of the rockin' vicar? Well I was thee Cool Cardinal, the drummer was the Pervy Pope, and the singer was Harry Monk...

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1455041227' post='2975349']
Dep? That's unlikely, but doesn't necessarily mean we won't use another guitarist, or flute player,or theraminist; their instructions would normally be something along the lines of "this one's funky, in Eb (as the singer plays an Eb sax) apart from the bits that are in F#, we'll try and remember to give you a nod, but just keep it that bit crazed, and you can wear this codpiece and platform boots". But they'd only be a 1-2 song guest.
Last gig we were all clergy, the guitarist who'll be missing is the foreground bishop in the cowboy hat...

And there's no covers, so the audience won't know what's coming next! Only problem with doing more programming is that it restricts us; at present we've got 3 songs with backing. In the past we'd jam a song for 30-40 minutes if the crowd were enjoying it. 4-5 hour gigs were the norm back in the 80s!
[/quote]

Given all that info I wouldn't worry. Do the gig without him. Don't bother adding anything to the programming if the backing is only used on some of the songs. The only people who might notice there's someone missing will be his friends.

Edited by BigRedX