Why become a member? ×

Question for Maruszczyk owners

keefbaker

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1454510279' post='2970357']
Out of interest Si, what pickups and pickup config have you got in that beauty? Also what colour is that? Cheers mate!
[/quote]

They're Haussel pickups, a Humbucker in the bridge & obviously a Precision. Controls are just V/V/T
33" scale
Chambered body (bass weights 7.3lbs, no neck dive) - upcost
Shoreline gold body & matching headstock. - upcost
Hipshot 1/2 Ultralite tuners - upcost

It's a beauty! Handbuilt, under £900 with a free bag and strap, both excellent.

Si

I'm trying to maintain some kind of calm during my build (we're now a month in). I'm doing OK and don't think about it too much, but I think that, come the end of the month, I'm going to be 'itching' like a junkie. I already can't not look at a thread that has Maruszczyc in the title. Dark times ahead ahead folks ;)

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1454513082' post='2970388']
They're Haussel pickups, a Humbucker in the bridge & obviously a Precision. Controls are just V/V/T
33" scale
Chambered body (bass weights 7.3lbs, no neck dive) - upcost
Shoreline gold body & matching headstock. - upcost
Hipshot 1/2 Ultralite tuners - upcost

It's a beauty! Handbuilt, under £900 with a free bag and strap, both excellent.

Si
[/quote]
Awesome, it's a proper beauty! Cannot believe it cost sub £900 with all the extras as well!

Such knowledge is really not helping me from just ordering the 5 string I'm after, gotta wait at least 1 more pay day before pulling the trigger! It's gonna be a LONG 3 weeks

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1454534665' post='2970687']
Such knowledge is really not helping me from just ordering the 5 string I'm after, gotta wait at least 1 more pay day before pulling the trigger! It's gonna be a LONG 3 weeks
[/quote]

I reckon I'm pulling the trigger in march. WE CAN HAVE A BASS RACE!

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1454415958' post='2969469']
I'm not knocking them, but I think you may be buying into Basschat hype a bit on that, I mean, how well known are they amongst bassist at large rather than the people who post here?
[/quote]

This. they're just the latest flavour of the month on here.
12 months time the marketplace will be full of them while people all rush to get the next best thing ever.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1454600091' post='2971237']
12 months time the marketplace will be full of them while people all rush to get the next best thing ever.
[/quote]

It'll have to be something cheaper [i]and[/i] better quality than a Maruszczyk. I'm not holding my breath, but you never know.

[/quote]

Yes, there is a lot of history of this type of thing on here... but unless you've tried one of these basses you wouldn't understand what the "hype" is about.

I borrowed WoT's PJ for a while and used it in a band situation as well as plenty of home noodling. It is a fantastic bass and I would have bought it like a shot - but the pickup placing and colours weren't quite right for me, and I can get one made to my own preferences for only a couple of hundred quid more! It's a total no-brainer!

People who own and play Fenders (right up to and including Custom Shop models), Seis, Sadowskys and other top-quality "boutique" basses are raving about the quality of the Maruszczyk range, and marvelling at the prices. Of course, it's helped by a very favourable Sterling-Euro conversion rate, but still - the quality of a boutique handmade bass for the price of a MIM Fender??

Crazy.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1454601105' post='2971249']
People who own and play Fenders (right up to and including Custom Shop models), Seis, Sadowskys and other top-quality "boutique" basses are raving about the quality of the Maruszczyk range, and marvelling at the prices. Of course, it's helped by a very favourable Sterling-Euro conversion rate, but still - the quality of a boutique handmade bass for the price of a MIM Fender??

Crazy.
[/quote]

All that does is confirm to me that most boutique Fender style basses are ludicrously overpriced.

I've been noodling for the best part of 3 hours on my Elwood today and find the sound and build quality astounding for the price.
I paid over twice as much for a well known UK builder and the Maruszczyk is so much better in all aspects.

[/quote]

sometimes the latest flavour of the month is so good it becomes established.

Try them for yourself, and decide then whether it's just hype or there's more to it.

Hype or not, I'm planning to get one, made to my own specs. Probably with a Delano hybrid humbucker in the bridge and a haussel P in the neck. I might see if it's possible to blag some kind of Jazz bar further up as well (3 pickups might not be feasible due to placement or electronics - dunno - I'm not an expert on this stuff)