Why become a member? ×

6-String Basses | Modulus | Roscoe | Spector | Warwick - Comparison

AngelDust

Tonewood makes a helluva difference, not matter what anyone says. If that thumb weighed 8lb, was made of ash and had a maple neck, totally different sounding bass. However, at 11lb plus, Bubinga and wenge, it sound like that. Blooming beautiful.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1454705992' post='2972354']
Tonewood makes a helluva difference, not matter what anyone says. If that thumb weighed 8lb, was made of ash and had a maple neck, totally different sounding bass. However, at 11lb plus, Bubinga and wenge, it sound like that. Blooming beautiful.
[/quote]

It does. I say that as someone who has owned an 8lb thumb bass with an Ash body and Maple neck. It did have different pickup configuration which of course changes the tone considerably but even unplugged. The bubinga thumb bass sounded like a thumb bass. The other one just didn't. Great bass right enough...just not for me.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1454705992' post='2972354']
[/quote]

That Spector certainly won't be lightweight though, maple body! Amazing to hear the difference, its clearly not just the weight of the wood.
I reckon the wenge neck must have the biggest impact on the sound.

Eude

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1454717739' post='2972465']

It does. I say that as someone who has owned an 8lb thumb bass with an Ash body and Maple neck. It did have different pickup configuration which of course changes the tone considerably but even unplugged. The bubinga thumb bass sounded like a thumb bass. The other one just didn't. Great bass right enough...just not for me.
[/quote]

Did you have a Dirty Blonde then?
Always wondered what they sounded like, fairly 'normal' then?

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1454769487' post='2972812']

Eude
[/quote]

It sounded like a really bright P bass from what I remember. It had probably the most sustain I've ever heard from a bass though and super clear tone.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1454769487' post='2972812']

Eude
[/quote]

Dirty Blonde is a great bass, just not a great Warwick bass. Will appeal to many who like the look of Warwicks and not the sound.

At the time, i bought a Highway One P and a dirty blonde Thumb at the same time, and the thumb did the P thing better than the P, true story. A great bass, but did not have the balls and power of a proper Thumb bass so I got rid.

Hmmm, always wondered about the Dirty Blonde's sound.
Was the bridge pickup any use, or was it a little too close to the bridge to be used on its own?
Funny, you don't see many of the higher profile Warwick players with that particular bass, the only one I saw was Weezer's bassist, and given thae most of the time he plays a P Bass, it makes perfect sense now!

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1454930270' post='2974205']
Hmmm, always wondered about the Dirty Blonde's sound.
Was the bridge pickup any use, or was it a little too close to the bridge to be used on its own?
Funny, you don't see many of the higher profile Warwick players with that particular bass, the only one I saw was Weezer's bassist, and given thae most of the time he plays a P Bass, it makes perfect sense now!

Eude
[/quote]

My experience with it was that I couldn't use the bridge pickup alone, even with the (very powerful) preamp set so that it shouldn't be a thin sound. Which was a real pain for me as I generally prefer the sound of a bridge pickup. The twin Jazz pickup was just way too close to solo.

Just remembered I made this when I was trying to sell mine. It's literally just me pissing around playing whatever came to my head so don't expect an actual decent demo. All plugged straight into audacity. Ignore my shoddy playing too!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7MBsVi158Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7MBsVi158Q[/url]

Great video & nice playing.

Another vote for the Warwick, the tone just blows the others out the water for me. I've kind of gone off their looks in recent years (favouring more "traditional" styling now) but there is just something about the sound that still works very well - I don't know what it is that's making the difference, part of me thinks it's the neck-wood's they use but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be able to say what is is exactly.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1454931292' post='2974220']
My experience with it was that I couldn't use the bridge pickup alone, even with the (very powerful) preamp set so that it shouldn't be a thin sound. Which was a real pain for me as I generally prefer the sound of a bridge pickup. The twin Jazz pickup was just way too close to solo.

Just remembered I made this when I was trying to sell mine. It's literally just me pissing around playing whatever came to my head so don't expect an actual decent demo. All plugged straight into audacity. Ignore my shoddy playing too!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7MBsVi158Q[/media]
[/quote]

Thank you very much for this mate.
I see what you mean, the classic Warwick tone just ain't there, at all. Having said that though, it still sounds very nice. It's got a very rich complex tone. It sounds really lovely on your Mr Bungle play along video.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1454933604' post='2974262']
Great video & nice playing.

Another vote for the Warwick, the tone just blows the others out the water for me. I've kind of gone off their looks in recent years (favouring more "traditional" styling now) but there is just something about the sound that still works very well - I don't know what it is that's making the difference, part of me thinks it's the neck-wood's they use but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be able to say what is is exactly.
[/quote]

I think you're right, the neck cover the largest amount of real estate under the strings, so that and the fingerboard are likely to be adding the magic. I also think the Thumb pickup placement can't hurt when it comes to adding a bit more punch too.

Eude

Actually, this Custom Shop Thumb BO has a similar hue to the tone >> https://youtu.be/V-bu9T1xuEE
That one has a Swamp Ash body with a weird funky coloured in top, so the sound has to be the neck, fingerboard and pickup position, as that's consistent on that and the bass in the comparison vid.

Eude

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1455462394' post='2979273']
Modulus had a more even tonal range but the Warwick just sounded better to me. Would take either tho.
Roscoe and the Specter just didn't do it for me at all.

Dave
[/quote]

I know what you mean about the Warwick not being as even, however, the two different registers had the perfect voice for each section in the song.
You want your lower end to be fat, warm and punchy, and your upper noodley bots to be sweet and clear.
I think the two voices make the Warwick all the better :)

Eude

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1455611994' post='2980584']
This thread is giving me inappropriate thoughts about buying another Warwick.... :blink:
[/quote]

That's a though that's never far from my mind, but I'll need arm extensions first, to really enjoy a Thumb Bass :-(

Eude