Why become a member? ×

Need Budget Advice- 5 string Bass - 200£.

Zalek

Hi
I recently moved to UK, I had to sell my old equipment. Now I saved a bit, around 350£ (max 400 If I stretch a bit), so I am thinking 200£ on bass and 150£ on amp.

I normally metal and use 6 string but I can easily get away with 5 string (Preferable 24 frets).So are there any budget suggestions? I am not familiar with UK second hand bass market, I searched a bit, but not many budget 5 strings out there.

For bass I was thinking about, but any other advice is appreciated
[b]Harley Benton HBZ-2005[/b] (leaning towards this)
[b]IbanezSR305-IPT[/b]

For amp. Unfortunately the place I live has paper thin walls so I can't have anything too powerful, and I don't see any gigging in the immediate future. Here are the possibilities I came up with

[b]VoxPathfinder 10Bass
Ampeg BA-108 V2[/b]
[b]Orange Crush Pix 25BX
Roland MicroCube Bass RX[/b]

Hello!

It's a tight budget if you're fussy about timing (you want it yesterday) or looks (it has to be purple with gold hardware) - But if you're willing to shop around & haggle you may be surprised what you get.

Used will get you more 95% of the time than new - but it has its pitfalls. If you're not comfortable setting up instruments or assessing them - try to get someone who is to accompany you to look at new or used basses. Ask about the return policy - both online and in the shop. If you buy privately know it's sold as seen! I'd recommend the one you like the feel of the most. And get a comfortable strap while your at it - your back will thank you!

For practice amps - get one with a headphone out. Great for practicing when loudness isn't an option.

A few six strings on Gumtree:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/custom-ibanez-gsr206-6-string-bass/1152118817 (£180)

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/six-string-bass-harley-benton-bz-6000nt-thomann-premium-gig-bag/1152506745 (£210)

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/ibanez-btb-556nf-6-string-electric-bass-guitar/1150692922 (£250)

Washburn XB600's are great basses! Not that common second hand but are usually available for around £175-£200.

Yamaha RBX375's and the older RBX775's can be got for around £200 also. BB405's and BB425's may be found for just over £200 but, being passive, probably won't satisfy your itch for metal tones.

Re: amp

Probably best to go for a multi-fx or preamp pedal with a headphone and aux-in socket. This way you can plug your iPhone in and jam silently. Also, a lot cheaper than buying an amp. Zoom make several good headphone amps, have a look!

I'd guess that those little combos you've listed won't be very effective at reproducing those lovely low B's.

Can't really go wrong with an the Ibanez SR basses - great quality for a budget bass.

Amps wise; I would go with the biggest you can afford then just turn it down - big amps can be quiet too & offer more volume if wanted later on. Getting one with a headphone out socket is also preferable.

If you're thinking of the Harley Benton HBZ2005, then would the Progressive six string be a possibility? They are a lot cheaper than the HBZ2005, but people who have the progressive HBs seem to like them. (I must admit that personally I don't like the sounds of the demos, but actual owners who can actually hear the full range of sounds are happy. Visually they are less impressive, IMHO, than the stripy neck through HBZ2005.

Edited by Annoying Twit