Why become a member? ×

Pickups for a P/J Jaguar project?

philw

All,

I've decided that the only way I'm going to get myself my dream "Fender" parts bin bass is to build one myself using bits from various sources. I have a neck ready to go, and I've just ordered a Surf Green Jaguar style body, so now I'm wondering about pickups. So how about some recommendations. I'm after a J that provides lots of honk and a P that majors on growly thump? Only constraint is that I'll want pickups that can come in white or cream finish. Suggestions please (The more cost effective the better. My budget isn't huge).

Ta
Phil

PS. The bass will be passive with two vols and a tone control.

Edited by philw

You can do a lot worse than Wilkinson pups.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Wilkinson-MWJB-Neck-Bridge-Bass-Pickup-Set-for-JB-type-guitars-Jazz-/111873624384?hash=item1a0c300940:g:kRoAAOxyZwpSUTyP

I have no connection with Wilkinson. I just know I used them on a bass I built up.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1453680563' post='2961835']
I found these guys when I was looking for something else.

[url="http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bpickup_covers.htm"]http://www.guitarpar...ckup_covers.htm[/url]

There are probaby others who sell pick up covers a bit closer to home.
[/quote]

Oh that's useful. That's for posting.

P

I've just fitted DiMarzios for the first time on Kert's camphor single cut build, with the Seymour Duncan 2 band EQ for passive pickups. The combination is stunning, from old style 50s thump to Entwistle and slap. An added bonus is that the J is noiseless too!

I just ordered a P/J set for my custom built jaguar-style bass (32" scale).
I've ordered a set from Hotrod pickups in Sussex (ex-Wizard pickups).

I've gone for a vintage trad P pickup with a similarly vintage J64 jazz.

As it's a shorter scale bass I have to fit the slightly smaller neck pickup in the bridge position, so after discussion with Dave at Hotrod I'm having it slightly overwound to compensate for the lower output of the usual neck pickup ... won't be getting them till next week, but I'll let you know how they sound!

So far my experience of Hotrod has been very good ... hand wound pickups, customised to order, very knowledgeable and helpful, very reasonable prices and they're a local company too!