Why become a member? ×

warwick rockbass

Geek99

Probably the Corvette model if it's got jazz bass active style pick ups. A little more info on your Strat would help to determine if this is a potentially fair deal or not.

I owned a rockbass Streamer 5 string for years, got on really well with it, was my main bass. Just sold it recently actually because I got a Thumb. It sounded good, felt nice to play & was a really nice looking piece of equipment IMO.

Meet up with the seller, sit down & have a go on it through a decent amp.

Yeah, my first bass was a passive streamer rockbass. Was pretty good, with a decent sound the few times I played it at a proper volume. Have barely only played a jazz for the grand total of about a minute, so not sure how the necks compare, but I found it fairly comfy.
Also, I think the standard is for them to have soapbar pickups, but you might want to check their site for conformation.

Their RRP is £300, and most people still say they're great value for money, including myself (especially as I nabbed one for £220), so i guess they'd be comparable to a jazz.

Hope that vagually helps.

I actually tried a rockbass corvette (acvtive) with a view to buying it. Was really impressed with it as it was about £400 new at the time (it was the sunburtsy one and they hadn't been out long, it was 2002 i think). However the shop owner said i could have the German one for £590 new so bought that instead cos it looked better and would have a better resale value

As it's the active one it'll sound great as it's the same gubbins as the german stuff :)

The german corvette active standards go for £300+ used i think so it's up to you if you're comfortable with the trade

Edited by lemmywinks

my Strat is a 20 year old (japanese) Tokai in tobacco sunburst with active electronics. I'm happy to trade but dont want another bass with a chubby neck as I have smallish hands. I was going to buy a Squier VMJ with the Ebay proceeds from the Strat for this reason.
Anyone have an opinion on the Warwick neck dimensions?

Other [i]minor [/i]issue is the swapper lives in Essex and I only go there occasionally but thats not insoluble.

[quote name='Geek99' post='285819' date='Sep 17 2008, 01:11 PM']my Strat is a 20 year old (japanese) Tokai in tobacco sunburst with active electronics. I'm happy to trade but dont want another bass with a chubby neck as I have smallish hands. I was going to buy a Squier VMJ with the Ebay proceeds from the Strat for this reason.
Anyone have an opinion on the [b]Warwick neck dimensions[/b]?

Other [i]minor [/i]issue is the swapper lives in Essex and I only go there occasionally but thats not insoluble.[/quote]

They vary from range to range! However I would say that quite a few of the BO cheaper ranges can have chunky necks and none but the earliest NT Warwicks are slim (I have an 87 Thumb with a neck that would rival any skinny Jazz and I've owned Streamers from the mid 80's that were likewise). Don't assume that a chunky neck + smallish hands = difficult to play. Sometimes it's the profile of the neck and/or width that affects how playable a neck is.

re. value - It'd be really helpful to have a confirmed model for your prospective purchase or better still a pic.

[quote name='Geek99' post='285819' date='Sep 17 2008, 01:11 PM']I'm happy to trade but dont want another bass with a chubby neck as I have smallish hands. I was going to buy a Squier
Anyone have an opinion on the Warwick neck dimensions?

Other [i]minor [/i]issue is the swapper lives in Essex and I only go there occasionally but thats not insoluble.[/quote]

[url="http://www.warwickrockbass.com/rbspecs.pdf"]http://www.warwickrockbass.com/rbspecs.pdf[/url]

Hope that helps mate ^

Regarding your hands I'm willing to bet they are bigger than mine & I got on fine with my streamer.

It'll have a chubby neck, that's for sure! Very comfortable to play though as the 'board will be narrow at the nut
The one i tried had the same neck dimensions as my German Corvette 4, slim board but deep neck. The string spacing felt a little narrower though as there is no adjustment on the one-piece bridge.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='286195' date='Sep 17 2008, 08:04 PM']It'll have a chubby neck, that's for sure! Very comfortable to play though as the 'board will be narrow at the nut
The one i tried had the same neck dimensions as my German Corvette 4, slim board but deep neck. The string spacing felt a little narrower though as there is no adjustment on the one-piece bridge.[/quote]
hi i have a fortress rockbass ,have upgraded to $$ corvette w. but still like to play the fortress . fortress has one j pickup and one p bass pickup. quality is good ,but in the end try and its up to you in the end .

[quote name='joe_bass' post='286146' date='Sep 17 2008, 06:53 PM'][url="http://www.warwickrockbass.com/rbspecs.pdf"]http://www.warwickrockbass.com/rbspecs.pdf[/url]

Hope that helps mate ^

Regarding your hands I'm willing to bet they are bigger than mine & I got on fine with my streamer.[/quote]
Thanks Joe, much appreciated.

He hasnt replied and sent a pic yet or told me what specific model/year, so we'll see.

The 5 string Streamer is very good, I own one and play with it most of the time. The low B string has amazing definition, the string spacing is very narrow (I love that), its passive and very cheap so I wouldnt cry if it got stolen/broken, and has a tone we all love in the bands I play with.

I have tried a few other Rockbass models (such as the 5 string corvette active) and I gotta say I dont like them much, specially the active ones. Not that they are bad basses for their price but the 5 string streamer model has much better tone IMHO.

[quote name='Fraktal' post='286389' date='Sep 18 2008, 04:44 AM']The 5 string Streamer is very good, I own one and play with it most of the time. The low B string has amazing definition, the string spacing is very narrow (I love that), its passive and very cheap so I wouldnt cry if it got stolen/broken, and has a tone we all love in the bands I play with.

I have tried a few other Rockbass models (such as the 5 string corvette active) and I gotta say I dont like them much, specially the active ones. Not that they are bad basses for their price but the 5 string streamer model has much better tone IMHO.[/quote]

I tried a few rock basses, they were quite good but you should try out some spector basses that have the similar prices.
Of course if you want to buy a spector. But I would go for the rock bass.

[quote name='machinehead' post='286341' date='Sep 17 2008, 11:44 PM']Depending on the logo on the headstock, your Tokai strat should be worth up to £400, maybe a little more.
Bear that value in mind if you're trading.

Frank[/quote]

Its listed on ebay now, perhaps you can advise (item 280266854105). I saw a mint one of similar vintage in black go for £230 last week and that one [i]was [/i]mint. As far as I can recall, I paid about £239 in 1989. Mine isnt mint, or totally original. There are 17 watchers though, so its attracting a lot of interest even with 4 days to go.

Swapper hasnt got back to me yet.

Edited by Geek99