Why become a member? ×

Anyone know if it's possible to buy just the buttons for Straplocks?

molan

I have a couple of straps that I use regularly and both are already fitted with Schaller straplocks. However I have a couple of basses without the corresponding inserts and wondered if I can just buy the buttons on their own?

I've seen some chrome ones on EBay for about half the price of the full system (which seems to make sense) but I also wanted some black ones & can't see them anywhere.

Also - I've seen some made by a company called Boston that claim to be fully compatible with original Schallers - I wondered if anyone ahd tried them and thought they were any good?

Edited by molan

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='285216' date='Sep 16 2008, 04:58 PM']you can get them from axesrus (but make sure you get the right ones) or you can also get the proper schaller ones from wdmusic.co.uk -actually, I daresay that's your best bet - I can't remember how much they are if but if you're looking at spending 7 quid on a pair of buttons, you might as well buy the whole thing.[/quote]

I bought a pair of full Schaller sets - black were £12 & nickel £8.50. You were right that I was being a bit of a skinflint trying to save £4 - £5 by just buying the buttons and/or not sticking to the same brand.

Given that each bass is worth over £700 then spending a tenner on some straplocks isn't exactly going to brake the bank!

I've got Schallers on the Warwicks and Bostons on everything else. I keep a strap with every bass so I've never bothered getting the buttons on their own, though I've definitely seen them on their own somewhere. The Bostons have the advantage of having two nuts holding the locking bit to the strap, so if you actually tighten them up properly and not just with your fingers and an ill-fitting pair of pliers, the nuts will lock together and not come undone without spannery persuasion. Which reminds me, I must get round to tightening mine up with something other than my fingers and an ill-fitting pair of pliers.

[quote name='molan' post='285244' date='Sep 16 2008, 05:21 PM']I bought a pair of full Schaller sets - black were £12 & nickel £8.50. You were right that I was being a bit of a skinflint trying to save £4 - £5 by just buying the buttons and/or not sticking to the same brand.

Given that each bass is worth over £700 then spending a tenner on some straplocks isn't exactly going to brake the bank![/quote]

Sorry Molan, I wasn't suggesting you were being skinflint at all :) I meant that I couldn't remember the price of them. Turns out it was wd that sell the buttons on their own, it's allparts and you can find them here - [url="http://www.allparts.uk.com/schaller-strap-lock-buttons-only-p-3885.html?p=product"]http://www.allparts.uk.com/schaller-strap-....html?p=product[/url] and they're only £2.50 per pair - which is definitely worth buying. I think axesrus sells something similar - in fact I bought what they advertised as Fender (only) American Standard straplock buttons, which are £3.35 - I (wrongly) assumed these would be a direct fit for a Schaller straplock (and in fact made by Schaller) - but they didn't keep the lock attached.