Why become a member? ×

Serial numbers

BrunoBass

Bit of an odd one, this. Last week I bought a new Music Man Stingray from a well known national retailer. I love it, it's an amazing instrument and I'm very happy with it. I read on Basschat that you can enter the serial number on the Ernie Ball forum and they tell you the instruments date or birth, which I did.

It turns out my Stingray was completed and shipped to the UK distributor Strings & Things on 27th April 2010. That's over five and a half years from being shipped to being purchased! Is that not a bit strange, or is it just me? It certainly seems a long time to keep stock of what I would assume to be a popular, fast moving product.

Lots of stores rotate their stock to give the impression that stuff is selling even when it isn't.
It could have hung on a wall for best part of a year & not got sold & then got moved into the storeroom to make way for something else on the shop floor.

Lots of stores rotate their stock, especially if the stock is perishable.

Basses aren't perishable, so it's possible that if the normally keep stock and they've never run out, then the last basses at the bottom of the stack may get to be quite old before they get moved out.

Contact Strings and Things UK, you can google their number. Top guys who will tell you the story. Peace of mind is only a phone call away!

Enjoy the Ray, would love an ash / maple one again some day.... ;)

Edit: And yes, 5 years does seem like a long time for it not to sell but of the 10 and more guitar shops I worked in, not one ever kept a high ticket item in the back for stock rotation purposes. It may just have been in the S&T warehouse for a while, and not selling in that particular shop.

Edited by Chiliwailer

It does happen. The Fender Roadworn I bought new had been hanging in the shop for over 5 years, I know because I saw it and played it everytime I went in there.
Guess some colours and models just don't appeal to people. I'm not complaining as I got it half price as they were ending their deaslership with Fender :)
If you got a nice bass I wouldn't worry about it.