Why become a member? ×

Swap out a Fender pre amp.. anyone?

JTUK

I've got John East's in Jazz basses but I want something different and my choice...atm....are between Audere and Aguilar.

The plate will be 4 knob and side jack thru the body and I'll want a mid control plus a passive option.

Suggestions for a simple swap that is reversible if need be so the Retro config but OB3 or JZ3D are
are in my thinking.

If you have an alternative, please describe the sound palate if poss.

TIA

I'd try the Aguilar... but that's purely because I have the J-Retro and I have had the Audere simultaneously (different basses, obviously ;)) and it left me cold. It seemed very 'transparent', so if that's what you're after it may be to your liking. I personally like the 'colour' of the J-Retro. The Audere was ok but it seemed a little lacklustre by comparison.

Did you go for an American Deluxe Jazz? If the bridge and pre are poor it sounds like you would be better off selling for something that works better as it is. Secondhand Mike Lull?

Edited by NJE

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1453029692' post='2955632']
Did you go for an American Deluxe Jazz? If the bridge and pre are poor it sounds likentounwould be better off selling for something that works better as it is. Secondhand Mike Lull?
[/quote]

Custome shop...altho I don't get what makes it 'different' from an Am deluxe as the bits and bobs seem to be from
AD's..??

And yes, I've seen a very nice Lull with Maple...but I've got that covered ..
The RW CS sounds 70's maple anyway, atm...

Was it the custom from Bass Direct? I think we had a chat about it over PM. I am a Fender fan, had lots of them over the years, but I do think that there are very small differences between the top end fender and CS team built stuff. If I was into 4 strings I would go for a American Vintage reissue, I played on in Wunjos and it was incredible, superb feel, lovely detail and sounded fantastic.

I recently tried a couple of the more expensive 'modern' Fenders, one was the Adam Clayton Jazz and I just felt incredibly underwhelmed by them. They were all hovering round the £1100 to £1400 mark new and I thought they were going to be amazing, but I put them down very quickly and had way more enjoyment playing a £270 Squier Dimension bass, it felt better in my hands which I found really difficult to comprehend.

Have you thought about a real change in direction and go for Sadowsky Pickups and preamp as an upgrade? I liked the preamp in the Sadowsky I played a while back, not too extreme but usable.

I do want a passive option.... I bought it because it is so different to what I have and it is making my approach
different.
I liked one core sound in the shop but the sound wont work with everything I do...so it wont be a single bass gig as it is.
I'm playing with tone options on the bass only and set-up... and haven't touched the amp.

Haven't settled on the strings yet either...
I dislike the bridge more so I'll change that first if I decide to keep it...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1453034378' post='2955710']
If you want to change so much of the sound of the bass, why stay active? I'd look at replacing the pots and pickups and forget the preamp.
[/quote]Surely going passive only makes it a one trick pony?

A P bass is a "one trick pony". But what a trick. It's the best in the book, which is why it is still the most played and recorded bass on the planet. A 2 pickup bass, such as the Jazz, has as many "tricks" as the player has the ability to find.

There is nothing special or better in an active bass. It is only duplicating the controls on the pre amp but putting them on the bass, for convenience.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1453119832' post='2956445']
A P bass is a "one trick pony". But what a trick. It's the best in the book, which is why it is still the most played and recorded bass on the planet. A 2 pickup bass, such as the Jazz, has as many "tricks" as the player has the ability to find.

There is nothing special or better in an active bass. It is only duplicating the controls on the pre amp but putting them on the bass, for convenience.
[/quote]

Yes, I'm not such a fan of P's so can make do with the J approximation of one for my needs.
I've spent more time on the neck... and left it for 24 hrs before I work on it again.

I just think the pre amp is pretty average so if I keep it that goes.
I'm not sure about the sadowsky thinking... but I have pit a TH pedal in front of the amp to
play around with sound, New strings are next as I get too much clank in the sound and
I never find that subtle at all.
I'm sure an East would improve things but I'm prepared to push this bass a bit further out from
what I've already got.
I prefer to have the pre on the bass as that means I can set the amp up for the cabs
and not have to touch it. I'm not looking for massive tonal variations tho..; just different.

Continuity works as well... if I can find the Aguilar or Audere pre with the same config options on a 4 pot
onboard pre, then that gives it a different flavour.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1453119832' post='2956445']

[/quote]I know what you mean but with a passive setup the pickups output has the top end sucked out if it. The Volume, Tone pots and cap all suck tone. Technically the electronics on a passive bass is a variable low pass filter.

With a pre you can get that sucked tone but you also drive the cable with a low impedance, lower noise and less lost tone.

I like to set my amp to match the room and the onboard to change sound between songs. YMMV.

Edited by Chienmortbb