Why become a member? ×

Rick Turner Renaissance basses

6stringbassist

I know Steve Lawson uses one from time to time, and I played one a while ago at the Gallery, but does anyone else have any personal experience of these, very individual looking instruments.

I'm sure that I've seen someone one here with one advertised for sale in his signature.

They're very cool looking instruments, and the one I played sounded really nice, and 'different'.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='284810' date='Sep 16 2008, 10:27 AM']I know Steve Lawson uses one from time to time, and I played one a while ago at the Gallery, but does anyone else have any personal experience of these, very individual looking instruments.

I'm sure that I've seen someone one here with one advertised for sale in his signature.

They're very cool looking instruments, and the one I played sounded really nice, and 'different'.[/quote]

Dave Swift's is cool - I remember thinking to myself after seeing up close... yeah, must get one. Never did... but that's because I've never got off my ass to track one down!

I seriously thought about getting one a year or two ago, but to be honest I chickened out. Its a lot of dosh (to me) and I read a fair bit of grumbles on the interweb about pickup and electronic problems and long long delivery times. Now, I never got in touch with them, or their UK distribution so this was pure interweb hearsay - but it was enough to put me off. I know they get good reviews, but what doesn't!?

I'm even poorer now...but I still wonder if its the perfect all-rounder for a lot of my gigs!

BB

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin, you're welcome to spend some more time playing mine next time I see you.

I love it - I don't get to use it that much, but I still can't bring myself to part with it, as nothing else sounds like it, and there have been various tunes through the years where it really made the song...

cheers

Steve