Why become a member? ×

A musique concrete piece.

ambient

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
Part of my first term portfolio on my MMus course. Lots of strange sounds woven around one of my piano pieces.[/font][/color]
My first attempt at musique concrete.[/font][/color]
Comments, constructive or otherwise are welcome.[/font][/color]

[url="http://soundcloud.com/an-ending-ascend/portfolio-2-musique-concrete"]http://soundcloud.com/an-ending-ascend/portfolio-2-musique-concrete[/url]

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1452196661' post='2947564']
Is it just me or is it incredibly quiet?
[/quote]
[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1452198112' post='2947590']
Yes it is...ambient ?
[/quote]

Funny you should say that. I put it up on Facebook last night.......late last night about 4 o'clock this morning. Then I got a message off one of my old tutors at uni to say the same thing :).

I couldn't listen to it properly because my mom and dad were in bed.

I've now made it louder.

It's a fine line though, like my tutor said, between it being too quiet, and then actually too loud for the genre. It's hard when people are maybe listening through the speakers on their iPads or phones.

Anyway, critique is welcome :).

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1452199011' post='2947601']...
Anyway, critique is welcome :).
[/quote]

It's my own fault for breaking my own rules. Intrigued enough to give it a fair whirl, but I'm afraid, if I may borrow from a popular TV show: "I'm out...". I can understand that doing these can be fun for you (indeed, I sincerely hope and trust that that's the case...), but, from a listener's point of view I really can't find any merit other than the patience of having produced it; In my 'defence', I'd claim a relatively high threshold, being an eclectic fan of many contemporary artists, from several 'schools', but maybe this needs a half-century of maturing before it's ready to be fully appreciated by the likes of me. It's a real shame, as I'm fully confident that, somewhere, there's a gifted musician trying to put across an idea, an 'ambience, a notion... I'm not sure what, though, and, for now, for me, the magic is not working at all.
I am truly sorry to not be able to appreciate your work; put it down 100% to my duff ears and lack of horizon. It's frustrating, though, having this nagging feeling that there may, after all, be some quality in there somewhere that I fail to hear, despite the intuition of 'emperor's new clothes'. Still, it's not 'composed' for my benefit anyway, I suppose. :blush:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1452202388' post='2947651']
It's my own fault for breaking my own rules. Intrigued enough to give it a fair whirl, but I'm afraid, if I may borrow from a popular TV show: "I'm out...". I can understand that doing these can be fun for you (indeed, I sincerely hope and trust that that's the case...), but, from a listener's point of view I really can't find any merit other than the patience of having produced it; In my 'defence', I'd claim a relatively high threshold, being an eclectic fan of many contemporary artists, from several 'schools', but maybe this needs a half-century of maturing before it's ready to be fully appreciated by the likes of me. It's a real shame, as I'm fully confident that, somewhere, there's a gifted musician trying to put across an idea, an 'ambience, a notion... I'm not sure what, though, and, for now, for me, the magic is not working at all.
I am truly sorry to not be able to appreciate your work; put it down 100% to my duff ears and lack of horizon. It's frustrating, though, having this nagging feeling that there may, after all, be some quality in there somewhere that I fail to hear, despite the intuition of 'emperor's new clothes'. Still, it's not 'composed' for my benefit anyway, I suppose. :blush:
[/quote]

To be honest, musique concrete is really not something I listen to. This is the first time that I've done anything like it, though I have used recorded ambient sounds before on some of my things.

That's the idea of the course though, to push you to do things outside of your comfort zone, you also pick up things that you can incorporate into what you generally do.

My piece is far more melodic than most pieces, I have used some synth, and there's piano. A lot of pieces are just sounds and noises. There's one piece I came across that consists entirely of hand-driers.

It's like my other piece, which is an 8.1 surround sound piece. Generally they're just 'sounds', with little in the way of melody. Mine has a concept, and again there is harmonic function in it.

Thanks for taking the time to listen, I do appreciate it.

Had a chance to listen on the big sound system now.

I like it, some of the long sustained sounds were very nice, interesting tones. (Such as around 0.59, 1.39, 1.57).

A bit more variation in the field recordings would be good for me- I found the birdsong came back a bit too often for my tastes.

But overall, cool - I like it.

As I've critiqued, it seems only fair I offer one of my more abstract pieces up, hope you enjoy them.

[url="http://soundcloud.com/moltendog/diving-bell-1"]http://soundcloud.co...g/diving-bell-1[/url]

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1452205211' post='2947711']
Had a chance to listen on the big sound system now.

I like it, some of the long sustained sounds were very nice, interesting tones. (Such as around 0.59, 1.39, 1.57).

A bit more variation in the field recordings would be good for me- I found the birdsong came back a bit too often for my tastes.

But overall, cool - I like it.

As I've critiqued, it seems only fair I offer one of my more abstract pieces up, hope you enjoy them.

[url="http://soundcloud.com/moltendog/diving-bell-1"]http://soundcloud.co...g/diving-bell-1[/url]
[/quote]

Great, I will have a listen later, I'm just doing an essay :(.

Thanks for listening, and for the feedback, I need to sit down and have a proper loud listen over the weekend, and make the odd adjustment to things, I don't hand-in until next Tuesday.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1452206008' post='2947728']
Great, I will have a listen later, I'm just doing an essay :(.

Thanks for listening, and for the feedback, I need to sit down and have a proper loud listen over the weekend, and make the odd adjustment to things, I don't hand-in until next Tuesday.
[/quote]

I had it whacked up pretty loud :)

Edited by ahpook

This is interesting listening back to it again. I feel it is still a bit quiet. I feel there are times you could use the headroom a bit more so that some parts almost assault the ears. This would bring a lot more colour in to it. At present it is maybe a bit flat. Bringing some quieter parts up would bring more clarity to it. Just my observations from recent listening to more ambient pieces. I do like the way you have used the stereo spectrum. That works well.

This is as valid a form of 'music' as any other. Without more avant garde music things might not move on at all. Think back to early Pink Floyd which had a strong ambient flavour to it, not that it was called ambient at the time. Look how they developed though.

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1452353657' post='2949203']
This is interesting listening back to it again. I feel it is still a bit quiet. I feel there are times you could use the headroom a bit more so that some parts almost assault the ears. This would bring a lot more colour in to it. At present it is maybe a bit flat. Bringing some quieter parts up would bring more clarity to it. Just my observations from recent listening to more ambient pieces. I do like the way you have used the stereo spectrum. That works well.

This is as valid a form of 'music' as any other. Without more avant garde music things might not move on at all. Think back to early Pink Floyd which had a strong ambient flavour to it, not that it was called ambient at the time. Look how they developed though.
[/quote]

Thanks again for listening, and for the suggestions, it's very much appreciated.

I have to hand this in on Thursday.

I will certainly be trying out some of the things that you've suggested over the next couple of days.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1453486316' post='2960009']
How did your piece go at uni, ambient?
[/quote]

Hi

It was handed in last week, I'm not sure when we get our results.

Theses an event next week there where they're all being broadcast.

Thanks for asking, and listening, and offering advice.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1454281598' post='2968283']
This piece is magnificent in my opinion. I love it mate.
[/quote]

Thanks !

It's weird doing stuff like this. You finish it and it's such a relief, like a weight has lifted off you.

I just hope the examiner likes it :).