Why become a member? ×

G&L L-2000 Pickguard templates

Aharon

I would really like one of these but they are unavailable anywhere outside of Japan AFAIK for some odd reason. I would like to custom make one and perhaps even make my own shape.
Would anyone happen to have an template they are willing to share? It is for a USA model but I think they are the same as a Tribute (can anyone confirm?)

Finally, can anyone reccommend anywhere in the UK to get aforementioned template routed and cut?

Cheers!

• 3 months later...

Chris McIntyre, in Edinburgh. He made it by hand, based on the same pic as shown above. http://www.mcintyreguitars.com.

I know some G&L owners think putting a plate on the L/M2000s is heresy but I think it makes them look better!

[quote name='dmckee' timestamp='1460103667' post='3022531']
Chris McIntyre, in Edinburgh. He made it by hand, based on the same pic as shown above. [url="http://www.mcintyreguitars.com."]http://www.mcintyreguitars.com.[/url]

I know some G&L owners think putting a plate on the L/M2000s is heresy but I think it makes them look better!
[/quote]

Thanks for that I'll drop him a line... How did you fit it? just drill a little hole then drive the screws in?

Anyone know if the L2000 / M2000 dimensions would be the same?

[quote name='dmckee' timestamp='1460103667' post='3022531']
[/quote]

If they do, then they're no better than any other bunch of over-zealous, evangelising, aggressively advocating, blinkered aficionados. Not thinking of any particular bunch, of course ;)

It's your bass, crack on!

Chris just cut it and screwed it on. I guess if you didn't want to make holes in the bass you could just attach it with double sided tape. if you do decide to get one let me know and I'll pass mine back to Chris to copy. That'll make it easier than starting from scratch.

Same as L2000? I'd assume so. I don't have one here to check though.

What I might do is take this one off, scan it, then you could print one out actual size, cut it out and see if it fits.

[quote name='dmckee' timestamp='1460111063' post='3022643']
Chris just cut it and screwed it on. I guess if you didn't want to make holes in the bass you could just attach it with double sided tape. if you do decide to get one let me know and I'll pass mine back to Chris to copy. That'll make it easier than starting from scratch.

Same as L2000? I'd assume so. I don't have one here to check though.

What I might do is take this one off, scan it, then you could print one out actual size, cut it out and see if it fits.
[/quote]

if you can be bothered, I'd very much appreciate a scan :) I can check the dims against my L2000.

I'll just screw it into the body, It's not a mega expensive bass and i think it would look a bit odd without screws in it :blink:

I would like someone to do a matching black headstock on it, but I think that might be a bit excessive... and probably rather expensive :blink:

[quote name='dmckee' timestamp='1460112033' post='3022655']
Yeah, mine's a Tribute so I decided to just go for it.

I'll get onto it tonight hopefully. Feel free to nag me if I don't get to it in the next few days.
[/quote]

No desperate rush, it will be much appreciated :)

Ooh, could I have it as well? Looks great!

I picked up Stingray style one that Mcnach had had done for his L2000, and whilst it breaks up the rather 80's look of the plain White finish, I'd much rather get one along those lines.

Here you go. This is a scan of the underside, so you get the plate at its widest. (It's a 3 ply black/white black one so scanned the other way round you'd get the bevel and the white stripe). I've put a JPG and a PDF on. Not sure which one will make it easiest to view it at 100%. (Actually, the PDF seems to attach oddly, so you may need to use the JPG).

Let me know how you get on. I'l be interested to know if it fits the L2000 as well.

BTW I'll likely be selling my M2000 with this plate on it soon if anyone fancies it, as I'm buying a USA G&L. It's a lovely M2000 - I have a John East U Retro Deluxe in it and Hipshot Ultralites too. Sounds fantastic.

Edited by dmckee

[quote name='dmckee' timestamp='1460132099' post='3022971']
Here you go. This is a scan of the underside, so you get the plate at its widest. (It's a 3 ply black/white black one so scanned the other way round you'd get the bevel and the white stripe). I've put a JPG and a PDF on. Not sure which one will make it easiest to view it at 100%. (Actually, the PDF seems to attach oddly, so you may need to use the JPG).

Let me know how you get on. I'l be interested to know if it fits the L2000 as well.

BTW I'll likely be feeling my M2000 with this plate on it soon if anyone fancies it, as I'm buying a USA G&L. It's a lovely M2000 - I have a John East U Retro Deluxe in it and Hipshot Ultralites too. Sounds fantastic.
[/quote]

Great stuff, you're a Gentleman :)

I'll print it off at work on Monday and check.

Thank you kindly.

• 2 years later...