Why become a member? ×

Early steamer for trade

Peaty

Now that my fretles five string has taken over fretles duty I have an early (1986) steamer fretless 4 string for trade.

It is through necked with a cherry wood body / unlined ebony board / EMG pups in a P/J configuration and EMG pre amp. In very good nick but with a little string marking on the board.

I am looking for 5 string freted, so if this tickles your fancy drop me a PM.

Pete

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='284156' date='Sep 15 2008, 12:36 PM']Stick some frets in and I'd have it :)[/quote]

Hi warwickhunt
Yup I have very seriously considered putting frets in it and keeping it, but I am playing 5 strings much more these days hence the post.
If it had been though a harder life I would consider giving it the orange treatment that looks sooo good on your pumkin bass, but as the body is pretty pristine I just could not bring my self to do it.

Just out of interest how easy is it to get hold of the warwick bell brass fret wire.

Pete

[quote name='Peaty' post='284187' date='Sep 15 2008, 01:23 PM']Hi warwickhunt
Yup I have very seriously considered putting frets in it and keeping it, but I am playing 5 strings much more these days hence the post.
If it had been though a harder life I would consider giving it the orange treatment that looks sooo good on your pumkin bass, but as the body is pretty pristine I just could not bring my self to do it.

Just out of interest how easy is it to get hold of the warwick bell brass fret wire.

Pete[/quote]

Warwick supply their fret wire and it's even pre-cut the correct length/width for Warwick necks, not too expensive either!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='284329' date='Sep 15 2008, 04:06 PM']I love the look of these old "racing stripe" Streamers. [b]Wish they'd had the two-piece bridge on them though.[/b]

I'm tempted but I only have another fretless 4 for trade, and currently no gear cash. :)[/quote]

There was a transition period of about a year (88-89ish) where you got the predominantly wenge necks (ie thick wenge and skinny maple stringers) with 2 piece bridges, they take some finding but generally prices on these early Warwick Streamers isn't influenced by what wood and/or whether they had 1 or 2 piece bridges (or pup choice for that matter).

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='284354' date='Sep 15 2008, 04:46 PM']There was a transition period of about a year (88-89ish) where you got the predominantly wenge necks (ie thick wenge and skinny maple stringers) with 2 piece bridges, they take some finding but generally prices on these early Warwick Streamers isn't influenced by what wood and/or whether they had 1 or 2 piece bridges (or pup choice for that matter).[/quote]

Nice to know they do exist. I've seen a few of these old Streamers go and they've all had the older style bridge, I didn't think I'd ever see one with the older neck laminates and the newer bridge. Must keep looking!

Thanks for the info.

[quote name='molan' post='284424' date='Sep 15 2008, 06:43 PM']I thought it was going to look more like this:

:huh:

As it happens this looks very similar to my old one, although mine was fretted, & a bit rougher around the edges.[/quote]
Maybe it shows my level of humour but I was sort of expecting a freshly squeezed turd. :huh:

In case anyone remains confused, re-read the title of the thread. :)

The bass is HOT, though, good luck with the sale.