Why become a member? ×

Ampeg PF500 Died. Again. Time to get a replacement. Suggestions?

pendingrequests

At a rehearsal on Saturday morning, my PF500 decided to kick the bucket once again.

Incredibly frustrating as I had a gig that evening and a couple over the Christmas period.

So once it gets back from repair, it will be sold for something of greater reliability.

But, since I use the portaflex cabs I would like something that fits in the aesthetic to some degree.

3 possibilites:

PF800 - I assume it is more reliable? Fits into aesthetic.

Mark Bass - Little Tube 800 - More gain, great sound, but doesn't fit in the aesthetic

Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 - Good middle ground option, but I always struggled with output from the PF500, so the tone hammer will just have the same problem.

Any other suggestions?

Edited by pendingrequests

Sticking with Ampeg makes sense and I like that combo PA and and cabs
so I'd go for PF800 if that is why you are with the sound.

I'm loving the Demeter but wouldn't pretend it does the Ampeg vibe
but you can drive the valves quite hard.
Definitely has more output than most 500w class D's..but then it is supposed to be
800w..

Downsides... no DI out, altho they do do a version with a Jenson DI, iirc.

It is more money that most Class D's but worth that difference IMO.
I could do with a gain stage but that is more a comfort factor.

I'm not getting the impression that the Mesa Cass D is going to be
a threat but that amp may top the rest at that pricepoint.

Interesting Lozz..I had the chance to use a PF500 the other day and took out my Demeter instead.
I think the Demeter just about made it for me... I dread to think how I would have gotten on with the PF500
if the TH500 is supposed to be louder.

It sounds like it could have been a hellish gig for me.
But the guy who uses it gets loads out of it...but he has a completely different style to me.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1450696527' post='2934882']
PF800 sounds a good option, am yet to read of any problems with these. The Tonehammer 500 is a great amp - I`ve had the PF500, currently have the TH500 and volume wise there is a lot more available on the TH500.
[/quote]

Yeh I have the Tonehammer pedal and it is such an amazing addition to the rig.

I don't want it then to become useless though since I will have the TH500. I suppose the AGS function of the pedal is worth it though.

I went from a PF500 (which I liked, and didn't have any problems with) to a GK MB Fusion which I love. Very flexible tone-wise, powerful, and I've never had any issues with it. I'm in the process of deciding whether to keep the Fusion 550 I've recently bought, or the MB Fusion. They're both great...I think I prefer the sound of the 550 but much prefer the weight of the MB Fusion.

I think it's a bit unfair not to give recognition to your PF500; a more considerate amp would be hard to imagine ... not only did it break down at a rehearsal rather than at a gig, but it also did so on a Saturday morning and gave you the whole afternoon to organise a replacement.

Ampeg deserve to be legendary for their customer support. :)

[quote name='pendingrequests' timestamp='1450698928' post='2934907']
Yeh I have the Tonehammer pedal and it is such an amazing addition to the rig.

I don't want it then to become useless though since I will have the TH500. I suppose the AGS function of the pedal is worth it though.
[/quote]

Ah-ha, the Tonehammer DI Pedal is then your secret weapon for when using provided rigs if you have the TH500 as your amp. Simply plug it in and get the same sound all the time.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1450705561' post='2935004']
I think it's a bit unfair not to give recognition to your PF500; a more considerate amp would be hard to imagine ... not only did it break down at a rehearsal rather than at a gig, but it also did so on a Saturday morning and gave you the whole afternoon to organise a replacement.

Ampeg deserve to be legendary for their customer support. :)
[/quote]

Well if I haven't rehearsed, I would have played the gig with no spare head. So I should be thanking me for that.

Second, I know of no other product, I or bass playing friends that has had a head die twice. I have an Ashdown combo that has been running successfully for 10 years. No faults.

Thirdly, if Ampeg in the first place decided to produce a product that would end up having a reputation of faults, then I wouldn't need to be getting an product repaired through their customer support.

Edited by pendingrequests

[quote name='pendingrequests' timestamp='1450693411' post='2934857']
At a rehearsal on Saturday morning, my PF500 decided to kick the bucket once again.

Incredibly frustrating as I had a gig that evening and a couple over the Christmas period.

So once it gets back from repair, it will be sold for something of greater reliability.

But, since I use the portaflex cabs I would like something that fits in the aesthetic to some degree.

3 possibilites:

PF800 - I assume it is more reliable? Fits into aesthetic.

Mark Bass - Little Tube 800 - More gain, great sound, but doesn't fit in the aesthetic

Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 - Good middle ground option, but I always struggled with output from the PF500, so the tone hammer will just have the same problem.

Any other suggestions?
[/quote]
What about that VT 500 amp from Tech21.