Why become a member? ×

Just joined a second band. A ukelele outfit !!!!

Tuco

This year has been a damn fine year for me..
My drummer partner in crime and I found a kindred spirit in the form of local legend MIDI guitarist Mr Curtis E Johnson and we took it straight to the stage.
Played some blinding gigs and got signed by local indie record label Grass Roots Records and recorded an EP with Alabama 3 guitarist Rock Freebase.
Then just when I thought things couldn't get any better, my favourite label mates found themselves without a bass player and they asked yours truly if I fancied it...
I jumped at the chance. They've just had a great year themselves, playing tons of gigs and releasing an EP on Grass Roots with D.Wayne Love of the Alabama 3.
They're a rather unconventional band, replacing guitars with ukulele's. I've been using the lead uke players Kala fretless u bass this last week and while it takes a little getting used to, it sounds great!
I'm probably going to opt for a Countryman fretted after Xmas is out of the way...
Anyway.. Any other uke bassists out there that wanna swap notes?.?

Congratulations on a fine sounding year. Fortune favours the bold!

I have a Countryman fretted Ukeleke bass.
My experience is that the intonation leaves a lot to be desired. With no truss rod or bridge adjustments possible you're pretty much stuck with it.
My advice would be hold out for a higher quality instrument.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1450543377' post='2933799']
Congratulations on a fine sounding year. Fortune favours the bold!

I have a Countryman fretted Ukeleke bass.
My experience is that the intonation leaves a lot to be desired. With no truss rod or bridge adjustments possible you're pretty much stuck with it.
My advice would be hold out for a higher quality instrument.
[/quote]

I have no idea about their uke basses but I have a Countryman 6 string electro-acoustic. I'm considering filling it with soil in the spring and using it in the garden as a novelty planter.

Based on the previous posts, plus owning a Kala Ubass fretless, I recommend getting a Kala fretless like the one you're currently borrowing.
As I'm sure you've discovered yourself, the Kalas are surprisingly easy to play and stay in tune with. The extra control you have over the tuning gives you the flexibility to "iron out" any intonation problems that may crop up. With a fretted instrument, you're stuck with what you get tuning-wise.

Edited by SICbass

I just joined a ukuele band too, although they're a hobby group that meets once a week, not signed to a label or anything like that. I'm playing my P-bass at the moment but will mvoe on to my U-bass soon. I have a semi-acoustic Kala, fretted. I'm really keen to try a solid body one though, and I remember seeing some at last year's London Bass Show. I'm finding the A string a bit off in intonation but that's only happened recently so perhaps the string is a bit iffy. It's really fun to play and has a great sound, plucky, deep and mellow. Play one for too long and your bass guitars will sound thin afterwards ;)

What a great musical year you've had. :)
Hoping 2016 is more of it for you.

My Mrs bought herself a ukulele last year (with great intentions). After sitting next to her tin whistle & other great intentions, I decided that I'm gonna learn how to play it & it can go in the car.

I'm surprised how easy it is to play (it's a bit like having just the top 4 strings of guitar & putting the capo on the 5th) & two handed tapping on it sounds fabulous.

Gonna have to mic it up & get some fx on it. :sun_bespectacled:

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1450813299' post='2936153']
What a great musical year you've had. :)
Hoping 2016 is more of it for you.

My Mrs bought herself a ukulele last year (with great intentions). After sitting next to her tin whistle & other great intentions, I decided that I'm gonna learn how to play it & it can go in the car.

I'm surprised how easy it is to play (it's a bit like having just the top 4 strings of guitar & putting the capo on the 5th) & two handed tapping on it sounds fabulous.

Gonna have to mic it up & get some fx on it. :sun_bespectacled:
[/quote]
Yeh my man Darren Uke Dealer uses delay and overdrive on his uke to great effect