Why become a member? ×

Two Tribes

Exile252

yep, Trevor Horn programmed this on a Fairlight sampler.

Mark O'Toole was actually a pretty good bass player though (he wrote the bassline plus his original lead bass parts were used as string/horn parts)-

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wIHrLci6Fw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wIHrLci6Fw[/url]
closeup at 3.40

drop-D tuning (DADG), frets 3 and 5 on the A string, open low D string. and use the open A string.

Welcome to the pleasuredome has a great bassline too.

Edited by SJA

[quote name='SJA' post='283437' date='Sep 13 2008, 11:55 PM']yep, Trevor Horn programmed this on a Fairlight sampler.

Mark O'Toole was actually a pretty good bass player though (he wrote the bassline plus his original lead bass parts were used as string/horn parts)-

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wIHrLci6Fw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wIHrLci6Fw[/url]
closeup at 3.40

drop-D tuning (DADG), frets 3 and 5 on the A string, open low D string. and use the open A string.

Welcome to the pleasuredome has a great bassline too.[/quote]
Right on brother we are a long way from home "WELCOME".

Thanks for the help hehe. Still having abit of trouble with it hehe. Also, what is the bass during the bridge, is it just playing around with a simple scale?
Most of the songs on the album have brilliant basslines. War has a cracking line. I wish there were more tabs/sheet music around

[quote name='bnt' post='283446' date='Sep 14 2008, 12:15 AM']I thought it was both: Fairlight-sequenced samples during the choruses, real bass during the bridges. There are two different sounds there.[/quote]

yeah, there are 2 sounds, but I think they're both from a Fairlight- in the Radio2 Producers programme on Trevor Horn he explained how Relax was done using a bass guitar low E note sample and a piano E note sample in unison- I suspect that's how 2 Tribes and 'Pleasuredome were done too.

notes in the bridge;
G (5th fret in drop-D tuning), (open) A, C, D, F. G, A, C, G, F ,D ,E.
ending with low E, and low D.

So this is the bassline:

[font="Courier New"]
----------------------------
-3333-2----3-33-2-----------
---------3----------3-------[/font]

And:

[font="Courier New"]
-----------------------------------
-------------------5---------------
--------5-8----------8-5-7---------
---5-8---------5-------------------
-8-----------8---------------------[/font]

(I'm using a 5 string hehe)

Edited by Exile252

bridge part is fine, but the verse should be-

-3-555----3-3-555----------
---------3-----------3-------

-333555----3-3-5555303-
-----------3-----------------

Edited by SJA

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='SJA' post='283555' date='Sep 14 2008, 10:38 AM']yeah, there are 2 sounds, but I think they're both from a Fairlight- in the Radio2 Producers programme on Trevor Horn he explained how Relax was done using a bass guitar low E note sample and a piano E note sample in unison[/quote]

I thought Norm Watt Roy played the original bass line for Relax

[quote name='pete.young' post='293993' date='Sep 28 2008, 04:56 PM']I thought Norm Watt Roy played the original bass line for Relax[/quote]

I recall an interview with Norman in Guitarist many years ago, where he said that "many of the Blockheads played on the FGTH sessions" but I dont think he actually said that he played [i]that one [/i] specifically. I still have the mag somewhere, I'll look it up.

[quote name='Geek99' post='296559' date='Oct 1 2008, 01:27 PM']I recall an interview with Norman in Guitarist many years ago, where he said that "many of the Blockheads played on the FGTH sessions" but I dont think he actually said that he played [i]that one [/i] specifically. I still have the mag somewhere, I'll look it up.[/quote]

Folklore hath said that Norman went into the studio with his Alembic Series I (bought off of Luis Jardim who had two at the time!) played the relevant riffs (which Trevor sampled!) and got paid £500 for less than an hour's work! Nice one!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='298978' date='Oct 3 2008, 10:17 PM']Folklore hath said that Norman went into the studio with his Alembic Series I (bought off of Luis Jardim who had two at the time!) played the relevant riffs (which Trevor sampled!) and got paid £500 for less than an hour's work! Nice one![/quote]

[quote]there was just a documentary on 6music, enititled "the look of love", charting 80's pop productions, and Trevor Horn described recording Two tribes- it took over a month to programme the bassline alone.....[/quote]

So which is true? I'd heard that it was Norman.

Trevor Horn used a Fairlight to sample NWR playing, chopped up individual notes and sequenced them to make up the basslines.

the documentary (part 5) is up on listen again on here -
[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/6music_aod.shtml?6music/6m_evedoc_tue"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/6music_aod....c/6m_evedoc_tue[/url]

22.10 in.

Edited by SJA