Why become a member? ×

Spend my singer's money....

scalpy

If he goes for the mini array system, let us know when he puts it up for sale. I'm always intrigued about how much time people are willing to give them before they figure that they aren't fit for their use.

I think he could do himself a favour by staying with the Mackies...

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1450273356' post='2931227']
[/quote]

Which does beg the question as to what PA Scalpy's band is currently using, as I don't think I saw any mention of Mackies...

[quote name='Alec' timestamp='1450275839' post='2931267']
Which does beg the question as to what PA Scalpy's band is currently using, as I don't think I saw any mention of Mackies...
[/quote]

Last sentence -
[quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif](What he absolutely doesn't want is two grey plastic boxes like his current mackie set up.)[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/quote][/font][/color]

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1450278218' post='2931291']
Last sentence -
[/quote]
Sorted - sorry, couldn't see the wood for the trees!

What Mackie setup is that, though? As Mackie have quite a range...

I share the healthy scepticism for these mini array systems. However, I know K-array get rave professional write-ups. And I did witness one of their teeny systems doing a cracking job with Dexters playing in Abbey Road Studio 3 a couple of years ago - no slouches at all...

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1450273356' post='2931227']
If he goes for the mini array system, let us know when he puts it up for sale. I'm always intrigued about how much time people are willing to give them before they figure that they aren't fit for their use.

[/quote]

:lol: 3 gigs and we had no alternative. Even though they were a free hire, we couldn't replace them quick enough.
I recall them doing ok in a small boxy room but an open pub/largish bar...that did for them.
We turned down carrying 4 subs and 8 tops... again free... as this wasn't going in the right direction...and that would
have been a very expensive way of doing things

Duo's and acoustic..? I think they'd be great, but anything with level, no, IMO.

HK Elements are good, but may struggle with louder bands unless you use a lot of them, which would be pricey. The conventional HK boxes - Premium Pros, for example - are good (I use them as monitors). Agree with others about Bose - OK for acoustic acts. Check out Fohhn compact line arrays (I'm biased - they're what I use).

Edited by Dan Dare

Typically we've wandered off the OP's request a little.

There's no reason why one of these mini line array systems couldn't be made to work. For vocals or indeed most of what a band needs you don't need to go up to anything like 20kHz and with a compact sub. there's the possibility of crossing over at pretty much any point you want so something like a 3" main speaker can handle the frequency range pretty well. The technical advantage of any line array, a shaped radiation pattern with a reduced dropping off in sound level with distance from the speaker is all good too.

There's some technical hurdles though. Most of the speakers designed for use in these systems are of fairly low efficiency so you need a lot of them, pushing up the size and cost of the final system. If you've typically got a 3" speaker then the voice coil is small and the power handling reduced so again lots of speakers. Even a 3" speaker will be limited at the top end so you have to compromise the design or think about a tweeter. Conversely high frequency horns are really efficient, 110dB for 1W isn't unusual, so this is a really cheap way of producing high level high frequency sounds. Then there's that phrase 'compact sub' Smaller speakers are less efficient at producing bass and limiting the cab size ultimately reduces bass output. A lot of these systems use DSP to boost the bass so the response stays level, Eventually a small bass speaker, however good, runs out of excursion so the DSP will manage and ultimately limit bass getting through to the speaker.

Ultimately this means these systems are limited in total sound output. You could get round it by spending a lot of money on exotic drivers and doubling up on subs but then you are getting into really high end prices. In the end they can be great for the acoustic performer or restrained acts but not for a full blooded rock band unless you are prepared to pay thousands.

I looked into designing a system like this for myself. It just makes more sense to use something like 8+horns as satellites and a smallish conventional sub but crossing over at a slightly higher frequency than the usual 100Hz if you want something you can use with the usual pub band as you can get compact but loud at a bearable cost. the RCF ART408 goes to 126dB so with a sub might be a good approach http://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/pro-speaker-systems/art-4-series/art-408-a-mkii

This is a useful article [url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec12/articles/spotlight-1212.htm"]http://www.soundonso...tlight-1212.htm[/url]

Edited by Phil Starr

Thanks a lot folks, I'll go to Steve the singer and try and deliver some sort of sensible synopsis of this thread! Looks like the solution he wants could be expensive, and possibly idealistic as I'm not convinced a mini sized system exists once subs are factored in. Interesting anyway and I've learnt a lot- thank you.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1450472854' post='2933258']
Scalpy is obviously taking you all for a ride. A singer looking after the PA? Just SO unlikely. Who has EVER experienced such a thing?
[/quote]

I know! Plus he's a really great singer, books gigs, actually really does 'networking' at the end gigs that really actually does get more work and rehearses properly and takes criticism etc really well. All round top bloke. I cannot believe my luck!

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1450514096' post='2933442']
I know! Plus he's a really great singer, books gigs, actually really does 'networking' at the end gigs that really actually does get more work and rehearses properly and takes criticism etc really well. All round top bloke. I cannot believe my luck!
[/quote]

Marry him.... :lol:
Networking is as important as being able to sing.... you normally have to pay these guys very well to keep them