Why become a member? ×

yamaha sb7a?

hrc_la

can you guys help me to identify this bass?

[attachment=206553:851238807_3_644x461_baixo-yamaha-instrumentos-musicais_rev008.jpg][attachment=206554:851238807_4_644x461_baixo-yamaha-lazer_rev008.jpg][attachment=206555:851238807_5_644x461_baixo-yamaha-porto_rev008.jpg][attachment=206556:851238807_7_644x461_baixo-yamaha-_rev008.jpg]

tkns in advance.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1449321109' post='2922564']
IIRC BigRedX had about a thousand of these at one time?
[/quote]

Not me, although I used to have a Yamaha BJ5B which was the modern 5-string version and the rarest of all the versions with there being only 50 made.

IIRC it was Paul from Arrowhead Guitars who was on a mission to try and buy every version in every colour...

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1449491557' post='2923924']
Gotta love that neck dive though, lol.
[/quote]

My SBV-500 also has no neck dive*. Didn't even tug at the shoulder of my t-shirt. I didn't believe it either.

*using a decent strap (Neotech Mega in this case - wide neoprene thing)

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1449498403' post='2924044']
Saw this a while back when bidding on one, via eBay :) nice basses though
[/quote]

Ah come on, half the time he's sloping his shoulders down as he does it which will exacerbate any issues he's having (which I'll bet are mostly strap related).

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1449488885' post='2923883']
IIRC it was Paul from Arrowhead Guitars who was on a mission to try and buy every version in every colour...
[/quote]

It was indeed PaulC - when he sold off his fabled collection, I had a blue SBV500 from him, which I still have & use regularly.

As others have said, no neck dive. Pretty lightweight, skinny, comfortable Jazz-shaped neck and sounds like a J on steroids. The only downside is trying to find a case or gigbag to fit the thing. That and the fact it's now always going to be the "Doctor Who Bass". :rolleyes:

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1449509341' post='2924197']
The only downside is trying to find a case or gigbag to fit the thing.
[/quote]

Hard case woes I can understand, but I've had no problems gigbag-wise - I picked up the nearest bag I had to hand and it was fine. Maybe I was lucky.

Did I mention it sits surprisingly upright no problems on a Hercules mini guitar stand? This bass continues to defy my expectations, in good ways.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1449488885' post='2923883']

Not me, although I used to have a Yamaha BJ5B which was the modern 5-string version and the rarest of all the versions with there being only 50 made.

[/quote]
Ah, I remember!

Getting intetested in Yamahas now I have one incoming. Remember seeing these in an old Selmer catalogue from around 1970 ish.

Edited by Telebass