Why become a member? ×

Octave pedal with (very) active basses - recommendations?

cetera

So, I have a lovely old Boss OC-2 pedal which gives me smooth, clean 1-octave down tones when using my Fender & Tokai passive basses. However, when I plug my Haz-loaded US Spectors in it becomes distorted and if I plug an 18v Tonepump loaded Euro Spector in it becomes distorted with terrible tracking.

Does anyone have a real world experience/recommendations for a nice OC-2 look clean octave pedal which can handle the higher output of active basses (in particular Spectors or others with very high output)? For clarification - I'm not looking for mad synth octave bass sounds - just nice clean 1 octave down action...

I've been pointed towards the 3Leaf Octabvre... (very expensive) and the MXR.... but don't want to waste time/risk purchasing something completely unsuitable.

Cheers!

I've always had my compressor before my OC2 and it tracks much better, I don't have any distortion issues with my Spector and it has a very powerful East circuit. For the tone your looking for, id suggest the EBS octabass, it tracks really well and very clean! Sometimes come up on here quite cheaply 😆 I really liked my old Aguilar octamiser as well, but still daft money.

Edited by lee650

I've never had any issues with tracking or distortion even with 18v pre basses and the OC2, but if you are having issues... Not much sounds like the Oc2. The 3leaf and both COG offerings (T16 and T65) are the closest to my ear. I've not tried the 3leaf, but the COG stuff loves active basses.

The MXR is also good, but is a very different voiced pedal. It's grittier, and well suited to naturally distorted tones. It's not smooth and synthy like the OC2, so you may not dig it's sound.

Yep, tried that.....

I decided to try the MXR as a shop local to me had it..... and if that didn't work then I'd have to take a long trip to Bass Direct for the Octabvre....

Luckily the MXR was great, brilliant tracking, no distortion and a cool sound so I went with that. :)

Cheers all for you suggestions...