Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass kits

lateralus462

I don't know about the Brandoni kits but you could get all the bits seperate like I did with my ebay special. I bought a VMJ with a Stagg neck for £75, Mighty Mite Jazz neck £57 Schaller machine heads £18.40 and a hipshot string retainer for £6.45.

[quote]WD music do a full kit inc pups/controls/s'plate + all that you'll need for about £180
seems a bargain.[/quote]

The WD kit is hardware only, you have to get a body and neck on top.

[quote name='markytbass' post='282845' date='Sep 12 2008, 07:08 PM']I don't know about the Brandoni kits but you could get all the bits seperate like I did with my ebay special. I bought a VMJ with a Stagg neck for £75, Mighty Mite Jazz neck £57 Schaller machine heads £18.40 and a hipshot string retainer for £6.45.

The WD kit is hardware only, you have to get a body and neck on top.[/quote]

I think this is probably what I'll end up doing - Try and source a cheap body and neck from somewhere (I have machine heads and a badass bridge already so it's only really pickups and electronics I'd need on top of that anyway)

[quote name='lateralus462' post='282463' date='Sep 12 2008, 11:16 AM']I'm thinking about putting a Jazz style bass together from parts and was wondering whether anyone has any experiences or recommendations on the kits available from Brandoni or elsewhere? I'd be on a fairly tight budget but don't want something that's going to be sh*t.[/quote]
Another alternative is to get one of the "No Name" Jazz Basses from Curly's Music in Liverpool or from e-Bay. They are excellent and he will do them for £115, which is way cheaper than a WD body/neck.
I did a P-Bass, which is now For Sale, but the details are here and give you an idea of what you can achieve.
Mine came out amazingly well.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25814"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25814[/url]

I knocked up a Brandoni Jazz a few years ago. Bit heavy, otherwise did me proud as a cheap gigging axe. Solid hardware, pickups nowt special but do job.

Finishing the wood was a bit dull and slow. Ditto varnishing neck. Construction was pretty straightforward - bit of measuring, etc.

Cheaper than buying separates, and if you can get it for less than £169.99 fine; but this was before good, cheap Squiers...