Why become a member? ×

Toroidal transformers

MoonBassAlpha

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1448981103' post='2919766']
Why are these not used in Valve amplifiers?
[/quote]Price, and demand, which are closely related. Aside from valve amps high voltage transformers are rarely used, so there's no economy of scale. Take a look here, you can count the number of 400-500v secondary toroids with no fingers:
http://www.hammondmfg.com/182.htm

I think it's basically just a question of economics. The raw materials and build techniques for traditional transformers are less costly than the more sophisticated materials and winding techniques for 'doughnuts'. High quality efficiency and weight were not, back then, major considerations for makers of amps, in general (one or two exceptions, of course...), and the final selling price was a more important factor. Anyone, back then, ordering a 200w amp had a van, and maybe roadies, plus a couple of 4 x 12 cabs of birch ply. Heavy..? Of course it's heavy. The more it weighed, the more it was considered 'quality', 'durable', 'rugged' etc. There are, nowadays, several makers of valve gear using toroidals; the few I've seen are very good. Worth the difference..? Why not, but it's not a huge factor, I'd suggest. The old Partridges still retain their mythical edge for connoisseurs.

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1448998226' post='2919973']
I have Mathias amps with Partridge Transformers, and one that is a Matamp 're-creation' using Sowter.....
Hate to burst any bubbles, but they sound identical (& excellent)........

:)
[/quote]

Sowter transformers are quite simply superb pieces of work!