Why become a member? ×

Status Kingbass

6stringbassist

I see there has been another thread about these instruments recently.

I'm about to order a 6 string Kingbass artist model, very exiting.

Anyway, I've decided that do to me being so in love with my Sei fretted 6 string, I'm going to order a fretless, which is something I've wanted for a long time.

I just can't decide between a lined or unlined fingerboard, the unlined look so much better, but I should imagine are harder to play in tune.

Anyone else have any thoughts on my predicament.

Do Status do just side markings ?, I'll phone them and see, that'd be the best solution.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='281109' date='Sep 10 2008, 02:18 PM']I see there has been another thread about these instruments recently.

I'm about to order a 6 string Kingbass artist model, very exiting.

Anyway, I've decided that do to me being so in love with my Sei fretted 6 string, I'm going to order a fretless, which is something I've wanted for a long time.

I just can't decide between a lined or unlined fingerboard, the unlined look so much better, but I should imagine are harder to play in tune.

Anyone else have any thoughts on my predicament.

Do Status do just side markings ?, I'll phone them and see, that'd be the best solution.[/quote]

Fretless - got to be unlined man!

If you're not sure on lines or not then you need to try some fretless bases of both types and see which you get on with best. My favourite is side markings (make sure you also get one for the first fret - it's a big help) and very very subtle front face dots near the highest string to help with the parallax problem when playing higher up the neck.

I personally favour fret lines. Why make life difficult for yourself I say?! Anything that helps with tuning has to be a bonus IMO, I truly detest the sound of badly intonated fretless bass. I don't play my fretless that much, so I really appreciate the lines (on my bass they're quite faint - almost wish they were more visible!), but I guess if you are a more regular fretless player then you would memorise the positions pretty quickly.

The bass sounds cool anyway, I hope it fills your expectations.... which, being a Status, it surely will :)

Unlined all the way. Unless you play like Quasimodo you wont be able to see the lines anyway. Unlined with the dots (or LED's) on the fret positions and one for the first fret is the way I go.

I have seen some fretless basses with fretline markers cut across the corner of the fingerboard so they are more visible if you know what I mean.

Not sure what is the point of getting a 6 string signature model of a guy that only plays 4 strings though :)