Why become a member? ×

Pondering on what head

danbanbass

I've been looking for a while and pondering on what to get.

I'm thinking along the lines of an svt 3 or a pf which is lighter but then there is the tc electronic bh series.

Oh what to do....

I'm currently playing a mim 70s jazz bass and music wise I like rock/punk rock and classic rock if that helps?

And for my sins I'm also a pick player too

I'm somewhere around 20 years now with my SVT3-Pro and it's still a solid performer.

For the styles you mention, it's the first head I reach for. I have several heads, all in the same power range, that are voiced quite differently and which I use for different situations but for straight up rock punch and grit, it's the 3-Pro every time.

For the record, mine's a '93 I bought used sometime around '95 or '96 and it's never let me down. Countless gigs and all kinds of different cabinets.

[quote name='danbanbass' timestamp='1447111148' post='2905054']
I like rock/punk rock and classic rock if that helps?
And for my sins I'm also a pick player too...
[/quote]

Aguilar TH350 or TH500? I play rock with a pick and am currently using a G-K MB500. Huge sound.

Edited by discreet

The Ampeg Porta-Flex is pretty nice - well worth looking at. The practice studio we use has them for people to use and they're neat little amps. I'd steer you toward the PF-500 mind, since you get the semi-parametric mid control and the ultra bright/deep switches making it a lot more tonally flexible than its little brother.

Out of the amps mentioned in the OP, I`d go for the SVT3-PRO. Yes it`s heavier, but the sound is too - much fuller and richer.

If looking for a similar sound in a lighter amp however I`d look at Aguilar Tonehammers. They can do a good approximation of the Ampeg sound, in a slightly more modern sounding way, and weigh next to nothing. Plenty powerful too.

And I`m not saying that cos I`m selling one either - I`m also keeping one, and the matching DI/Pre-amp pedal, I just don`t need three Tonehammers.