Why become a member? ×

Bass rack effects

colgraff

Some advice, if you please.

I am trying to find the definitive rack mount effects unit. I have, in the past, owned Boss GT6B and GT8B, which I would classify as okay. I have gone down the individual pedal route, which has given me excellent sounds but I am getting too old for lugging a dirty great board around. I bought an old Line 6 Bass XT Pro from someone here and I like it, but I prefer more modern sounds and the unit seems weighted in favour of classic/old fashioned sounds.

I principally use fuzz, phaser, reverse delay, chorus, looper.

So I have thinned my pedalboard down significantly through getting some good sounds from the Line 6 unit but it isn't quite THE unit for me. Can you suggest any modern top flight effects units? I have what to me is the definitive setup for the rest of my gigging time and need an effects unit to top it off.

Suggestions please!

Edited by colgraff

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1446380194' post='2898869']
I principally use fuzz, phaser, reverse delay, chorus, [b]pooper[/b].
[/quote]

I bet that sounds crap!

Are you dead set on a rack? Lots of people are turning their backs on rack setups these days to go the iPad route. Easier to tweak, less to carry, tons more flexibility and cheap to upgrade. Certainly worth investigating if you haven't even considered it!

Apps such as BIAS FX, BIAS Pedal, and BIAS Amp already offer more than many rack units. If you happen to already have an iDevice you are halfway there, you just need a £65 interface and some apps from the store. Check this blog out for starters:

http://www.tayste.co.uk/2014/02/24/the-ios-bassist-pt1-an-introduction/

Edited by dannybuoy

I'd say that if it's effects such as chorus, phaser, pitch, delay and reverb you are looking for rather than distortions, then my money for a rack solution is with TC Electronic. I realised that I've been using TC gear for the best part of twenty years and I don't expect that to end any time soon as I've just added the G System to be live rig.

Specifically for a rack I'd look at the G Major 2 and a step up, the G-Force but the G System is very cool too though more than you are looking for?

Unfortunately, board rules mean that I can't suggest where to find a great second hand TC GM2.

Edited by dood

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1446386745' post='2898939']
I bet that sounds crap!

Are you dead set on a rack? Lots of people are turning their backs on rack setups these days to go the iPad route. Easier to tweak, less to carry, tons more flexibility and cheap to upgrade. Certainly worth investigating if you haven't even considered it!

Apps such as BIAS FX, BIAS Pedal, and BIAS Amp already offer more than many rack units. If you happen to already have an iDevice you are halfway there, you just need a £65 interface and some apps from the store. Check this blog out for starters:

[url="http://www.tayste.co.uk/2014/02/24/the-ios-bassist-pt1-an-introduction/"]http://www.tayste.co...n-introduction/[/url]
[/quote]

Yes to BIAS FX, BIAS Pedal and BIAS amp but also look at another of Positive Grid's absolutely superb apps, Jam UP (Jam Up Pro) - I love these apps. I've been using them since PG first appeared. I'm even tracking bass for a worldwide release at the moment and BIAS is doing all the hard work for me! Love it, but appreciate the OP isn't using IOS kit.